EMERGENCY!!! HELP Fish Are dying - Anenome died in tank

Becki67

Reefing newb
Well, the BF left the anenome that I told him was dying for the last three days in the tank and now my coral beauty, tang, goby and I don't know what else are dying.

I've read that this happens but I can't find out what the solution is. The BF is taking all the fish out right now and enjoying his last day on earth 'cause I'M GOING TO KILL HIM when I get home from work. I do all the research and tell him things and he never listens to anything I tell him and now he's killed all my fish.

Someone please help me. Please? Do we throw everything away and start all over?

He's taken the fish out. The stupid thing got sucked into the outflow filter which shot that . Do we have to change all the all the filter stuff out?

With not seeing first hand and going with the information you have given,this is what I would do.

Was the anemone removed?
Assuming that you did,siphon as much of dead body parts and do a major water change like 50% as sen5241b suggested.Then test for ammonia and nitrite,if they are still high there are several options to help lower ammonia.There is media and liquids that detoxifies ammonia(Ammo-loc and Prime),another to buy live bacteria cultures like Biro-Spira.If those aren't an option for you then you will need to continue water changes the next few days if ammonia is high.As far as the fishes,if they are alive,your only option is to live them in the display or have the LFS hold them.You can't just put them in new saltwater or use the old water from the display.

I'm not sure on how much live rock you have.If it was my tank and I had over 75lbs of live rock.,I would clean out the filters and run good activated carbon.

Do a water change as advised. but I have to ask why on earth did you have an anemone on that very young tank? by looking at your sig it only says that you're new to this hobby and by that I would think that your tank is also 2 months old, right? anemones are for a mature tanks only which is roughly a year old or so. just throwing my penny out.

If you do the math, the 50% water change is far more effective than two 25% changes!! Start with a 50% then do a couple 25% changes. You need to clean the water of the toxins.

We've had the tank up and running for about 3 months now. The reason there are things being put into the tank is a simple matter of someone thinking they know everything and not listening to what I'm telling them. I do research constantly and relay that information to him. He decides to do stuff without researching it and I get to cry over the lost fish.

Tell him that if he doesn't listen to you or does his research, then you'll both be broke by the end of the year...this hobby is too expensive to be so careless.

You don't even know how sick I am about all of this. I don't think I can handle things like this anymore. It breaks my heart every time something happens to one of our critters and this hit all of them at the same time...it could have been prevented simply if he just would have taken it out when I told him to the other day....we could still have all of our gorgeous fish.

I sent you another email. We have an order coming in Thursday or Friday of crabs and a sea hare...what should we do? Do you think the tank is going to be okay for that by then?

Money doesn't bother me...killing these beautiful creatures DOES bother me. I get attached and name them and watch their personalities. It really hurts when they die because I hate that they suffered.

My sea hare got caught up in the power head intake and died a while ago...I sobbed my eyes. I can only imagine how he/she suffered.

Funnily enough, the damsels show no signs of anything...are they like roaches?

Damsels are some of the toughest, hardiest fish out there, and they can survive conditions that few other fish can survive. Out of all the fish you had, the damsels are by far the most resilient to bad conditions.

I would not advise putting a sea hare or hermits in the tank for a while. Your water is still polluted from the anemone, and inverts (especially the sea hare) wouldn't stand a chance in that water. Not to mention, sea hares have a toxin of their own, and there's a good chance it will expel that toxin if it dies in your tank, which would put you back at square one of doing tons of water changes to dilute it out.

Back