Emergency Water Temps?

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
I know we have had several people post on here that their heater broke and the water is ice cold, or that it stayed on and the temps are to high.

Here is your quick fix for either of those solutions using nothing more than a bottle of water.

1 freeze the bottles and float them in your tank to lower the temperature.
2 Heat the bottle in the microwave (probably a minute depending on the microwave) with the top off, and then float the bottle to raise the water temp.

This is a simple DIY fix for an emergency that seems to happen often with members here reposting this same tip/trick for numerous threads. I figure lets just have a thread about it.

Fixing the problem is easy, it's dealing with the damage done by the rapidly changing temperatures that are the issues.

IMO it is much better to slowly let the temp rise or drop than to go out and start dumping in ice or hot water because a fast change will only cause more damage onto of the damage caused by the extreme temperature change

It's not dumping the water in its letting them float to slowly bring the temps back to something acceptable while you get a new heater etc... Floating the bottles would take approx 2 hours (in my case when the tornadoes hit) to to adjust the temps by 3 or 4 degrees (i used 3 bottles on a 75g)

I didn't call it ideal, and its fine to differ, these were suggestions given to me by members of this forum back in april 2 years ago and I was simply reposting them since they have not been listed to date. If you consider this to be bad info etc go ahead and remove this thread. It wont hurt my feelings and there is no point going back and forth about it.

Back