Enjoy em while you can

That's a shame :( If they are listed as endangered, at least the wild colonies will be afforded protections that they don't currently have. However, the only corals that will then be available in this hobby are ones that are already aquacultured. Is that a bad thing? Maybe to some people, but not to me. Protection of the environment and these species in the wild is more important than having the latest, greatest $2000 frag.

I also think it should be said that the saltwater aquarium hobby plays an extremely small, if any role in coral reefs disappearing. The largest culprits are habitat destruction (such as destructive fishing practices like trawling and shrimping), and the warming and acidifcation of the oceans due to fossil fuel burning and greenhouse gases.

I can live with aquacultured corals.When and if it happens,the prices are going to go through the roof!.I can see it now,one head frogspawn-$200.

All corals should be aquacultured. And fragged by the local communities.
I think some government money should be spent on investigating fragging/aquaculturing of the more rare and less hardy species in captivity.

I can live with aquacultured corals.When and if it happens,the prices are going to go through the roof!.I can see it now,one head frogspawn-$200.

This is probably very true. Since so many corals are still taken from the wild, the prices and availability of captive grown ones will skyrocket. I bet companies like ORA will love it if these species become listed!

Of course, even if they are listed, some species will still be allowed to be taken from the wild if they are used for the purpose of propagation and captive breeding. That's why we can still have animals like pandas and tigers in zoos. Scientists and zoologists are trying to perpetuate the species via captive breeding programs. ORA will really benefit if these corals are listed as endangered. Not only will they probably get government money to propagate the endangered corals, but they will also be able to charge more for the frags produced.

I also think it should be said that the saltwater aquarium hobby plays an extremely small, if any role in coral reefs disappearing. The largest culprits are habitat destruction (such as destructive fishing practices like trawling and shrimping), and the warming and acidifcation of the oceans due to fossil fuel burning and greenhouse gases.

:shock: ACIDIFICATION :shock: Yikes Biff! :mrgreen:

This is probably very true. Since so many corals are still taken from the wild, the prices and availability of captive grown ones will skyrocket. I bet companies like ORA will love it if these species become listed!

Of course, even if they are listed, some species will still be allowed to be taken from the wild if they are used for the purpose of propagation and captive breeding. That's why we can still have animals like pandas and tigers in zoos. Scientists and zoologists are trying to perpetuate the species via captive breeding programs. ORA will really benefit if these corals are listed as endangered. Not only will they probably get government money to propagate the endangered corals, but they will also be able to charge more for the frags produced.

That is if THEY are allowed to sale to the public.
Once those are added to the endangered list,it may become illegal to sale em.

That's true, Yote. But usually if there is precedence set, it sticks. If they had been selling aquacultured corals to the public all along, they would probably be able to continue doing so. Especially since they can show that the money they get from selling to the public is the main source of funding for their aquaculture projects in the first place!

Maybe now the LFS owner might give me some decent trade for my stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. :mrgreen: I can take a frag with 2 plump heads of sky blue trumpet corals to the LFS and he'll offer me $5 for it. A frag with 20 watermelon zoas on it - $5. :shock:

How about $10 apiece? I mean come on man??

I've always wanted to get into the saltwater hobby but didn't because of the methods and types of harvesting. Even with my freshwater, I always got (mostly) local tank raised fish. Then I read of MAC and all the aquaculture and tank breeding, and all the ORA and other corals available and here I am! Sure, it's limiting, but still!

I have no idea why some things are still being collected from the wild, when they are so readily available. Take for instance the Banggai Cardinal (I know this is a coral thread, but it sort of applies!). I have two beautiful little guys in my tank from a guy who has them here right in Syracuse, NY. These are nearing endangered status, but they are still being collected, but are so easily tank raised. Same reason all our dogs have been rescue's and strays!

Protection will unfortunately be necessary, or our tanks may be the last place to see some of these beautiful things! I'm sure prices will rise, but consider it a small cost in conservation!
:twocents:

PS-I am in no way judging anyone on their species selection, just my personal preference! :Cheers:

I think it is in my nature to be a doubter, but I cannot belive that this hobby is responsible for killing off the reefs. There are larger factors at play. And without this hobby helping us understand these animals, we will never really understand what those factors are.

I think it is in my nature to be a doubter, but I cannot belive that this hobby is responsible for killing off the reefs. There are larger factors at play. And without this hobby helping us understand these animals, we will never really understand what those factors are.

It's not. This is what I said earlier:

Back