Enough light or not

Ok I'm alittle confused here (which is normal if you ask my wife), how do I determine if I have enough lighting for say Anemone's or other coral? I have a 48" T5 lighting with 2 12000K white lights and 2 blue lights (not sure what power they are). Is there a straight answer? Thanks:frustrat:

You could get away with softies and some LPS corals under your current lights. If you are thinking an anemone or SPS coral in the future then more light would be needed, IMO. You could add more t5ho or add a couple MH's or swap to LEDs.

In short: no. That is probably enough for softies and LPS, and most low-light SPS. You could try any SPS, but high up the rock work. Anemones need really high water quality, not something found in any tank less than 6-9 months, most at least a year. Which also means stable pH, salinity, temperature, ammonia, nitrates/trites, phosphate, cu, mg, ca, etc... which translates to using RO/DI water, high quality salt (i like reef crystals, but redsea, aquavitro, etc... are all good, too) and frequent water changes with daily top-offs. Once you have had a stable tank for some time and a disciplined cleaning schedule that works for you, then they are great additions, but I will mention not all clowns will host them if that is a priority for you. I would also use that waiting period to upgrade your light to at least a 6-bulb T5 or LED's. Starting with soft corals, then LPS and learn to frag those before you then try SPS, learn to frag and finally an anemone.

Good luck and remember to go slow. Any more questions and we'd be happy to answer.

Awesome advice Nick and Kylee. I think I will stick with my Poly and work on my skills and plan my lighting upgrade. Which lights provide the better light for reef tanks, the blue or white?

Last edited:
Yup those guys got you covered . Me my self i.just switched to.leds a couple months back and just recently got a Nem. But its funny couse.it actually doesnt see to like to much light as its on tje side of a rock tords the lower part.of the tank. Still get some light but no as much as i tought it would have wanted.

Awesome advice Nick and Kylee. I think I will stick with my Poly and work on my skills and plan my lighting upgrade. Which lights provide the better light for reef tanks, the blue or white?

Coral grows best at around 10,000-12,000 Kelvin. A lot of hobbyists prefer the look of a bluer bulb closer to 20,000K. And people customize their bulbs to get the look they personally want. I love my Kessil because I have two knobs to control the amount of white/blue that I want. Most of the proven and trusted LED aquarium lights can be adjusted in intensity and spectrum.

Since I have the normal T5 Lights, I think I might replace them with HO light.
It's just confusing when you are trrying to figure out if you have enough light. I'm gathering the answer is no unles you have LED or a 6 bulb T5.

Back