Epcot's Living Seas reef tanks

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
When we were at Epcot last week, I took some shots of their reefs. They have some really big colonies!
One real interesting thing I saw was a full size copperband butterfly EATING Birds Nest polyps, and the entire colony retracted in shock at the same time, then fully extended the polyps again. It was really neat! Anyway, here's some of their stuff:
This (I believe) is a type of seriatopora and they had HUGE colonies of it in most of their tanks. I mean, buttloads! Most of it was bleached under the branches, but were all healthy on top where the light got to it.
2-1-09209.JPG

2-1-09210.JPG

2-1-09217.JPG

Here's a real nice montipora:
2-1-09222.JPG

Sweet acro
2-1-09224.JPG

2-1-09225.JPG

2-1-09227-1.jpg
:mrgreen:

They also have some monster tank that's over 20' tall, and probably over 100' long, 30' wide. BIG. Though the corals are all fake, there are some really cool angels, sharks, dolphins, and too many others to name to get your mind off the plastic corals.
Favorite quote heard by another guy while here: "Look at the weird tentacles on that amemome that that nemo fish is in." It was an ocellaris swimming around a big toadstool leather. I swear, I heard people screaming "NEMO!!!!!" nonstop while in there. It didn't help that they put clowns in all their displays (except the volitan and moray tank lol). Seriously, lots of fun there. Especially since you can get beer all over that park then go on the fast rides. Barf bags on all the vehicles hehehe

Back