Equipments for Testing

mhke

Reefing newb
hi newbie here... just had an aquarium set up 3 days ago, i just want to ask what are the things that i should be monitoring and the corresponding equipments needed to test the results..(i.e nitrate, salinity. etc)

thanks..:Cheers:

Hi, welcome! :)

Any test kit that uses liquid drops and test tubes (not paper strips) should be good. You want to test for Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate for now.
The best thing to test for saltwater is a refractometer but a hydrometer will work ok, they just don't last and aren't as accurate.

hi again, i have another question, how often do i need to test my water with the ff test kits, and btw i have a genuine seawater in my tank, not tap water that was mixed with salt.. thanks..

I'd test for ammonia and nitrites at least every other day untill your tank cycles.After that,I'd test everything once a week.
Welcome to the site BTW.

I started with an API master kit (American Pharmaceuticals) The saltwater kit has Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and PH. It was about 30 bucks here in Canada. Then I got their Reef test kit. It has Alk, Calcium, Phosphate and another Nitrate. It was another 30. So far my testing has always been pretty much the same as my lfs....

Back