Equipping 40 gallon

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I just got my RO/DI system today and all I have to do is slap on the polyurethane on my newly built fish tank stand and I'll be ready to fill it up the 40 gallon and get it running. Now looking to put together some equipment for it so looking for recommendations for the following:

Powerheads - Should I go two smaller ones or one big one? I have two Koralia's in my 75 and they do me well so I will be going Koralia again.

Heater - The one I have in my 14 gallon certainly isn't big enough for a 40 so I'll have to get another one. What kind of wattage should I aim for?

Skimmer - Do I need to run a skimmer on a 40 gallon? If not, should I consider running a sump or maybe both?

Powerheads - Should I go two smaller ones or one big one? I have two Koralia's in my 75 and they do me well so I will be going Koralia again.

It depends on what you want to keep for sps you should probably go with two 1050s. For soft corals and lps I would say two 550s. And probably two is better.

Heater - The one I have in my 14 gallon certainly isn't big enough for a 40 so I'll have to get another one. What kind of wattage should I aim for?

About 200 watts.

Skimmer - Do I need to run a skimmer on a 40 gallon? If not, should I consider running a sump or maybe both?

Of corse a sump is better, but that is optional. Protein skimmer is also optional but it's going to help with the water quality. I'd say go with both.

as far as a protein skimmer goes I would definately add one one to the tank reef octopus makes a real nice skimmer..it will decrease the organics in the tank before they decompose making it easier on your biofilter ( liverock)..
powerheads I would go with two also and I think the 750's would be fine for your tank, you want to shoot for around 40 times per hour and if your throwing a sump on ( which is always a good idea) it will add to the turnover rate of your tank...heater I have 200 watt on my 45 ( two 100 watt) I always like to have two heaters just in case one dies off on me, then the second can limp along until I can get another in..

Have two 750's on the way from Pet Mountain. Considering an Octopus skimmer but on a budget til Fall/winter anyways so that may have to wait.

until you are able to get the skimmer in just keep up on waterchanges and dont skimp on them and you will be fine..dont buy a cheap one just trying to get by, you will end up having to get a new one costing you more in the long run..

Back