Eshopps Overflow Owners... HELP!!

dskirtech

Reef'n The Day Away
Hey guys and gals...

I recently ordered an Eshopps Overflow (PF 1200 - Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes) and I have a question....

The Bulkheads that come with it are an Odd size, making my trip to Home Depot for Plumbing supplies pointless.

It seems that the Bulkheads supplied are a unique thread pattern and are inbetween 1 1/4 (too small) and 1 1/2 (too big) inch standard sizes...

For those who Own these, How are you all plumbing the Bulkheads down to your Sump?? Eshopps website is not very forthcoming with information...

If you have 300 or 800 one, it only has 1 of those U tube.

Instead of using the thread, you can glue a PVC pipe directly into the hole of the Bulkhead. I forgot what size it is. It should have a tight fit. Bring the bulkhead to Home Depot to make sure.

What I did was to glue a short (2" or so) PVC pipe into the hole and on the other end of the PVC pipe, glue a slip to thread. Now we have a standard 1" or whatever size it was to connect to the plastic hosts.

Last edited:
Surely there are some other options besides gluing PVC directly to the Acrylic Box?!?!?

I would be worried about leaks... If you glued it all, and had a leak... What do you do then?

Not directly to the Acrylic box. Just glue to the bulkhead. If there is a leak, you can just replace the bulkhead.

Not directly to the Acrylic box. Just glue to the bulkhead. If there is a leak, you can just replace the bulkhead.

AHHHHHHH..... DUH.... Excuse me.. it is still early and I havent had my coffee yet. Thanks! Ill look into this...

Any other solutions out there?

yeah i beleive that the threads on the bulk head fittings are to tighten the nut to the glass and not to put pipe on. They are a straight thread and not a pipe thread. Glue a short peice of pipe into the fitting

Brian

you are correct. The threads on the outside of the buikhead are only to tighten the nut.

PVC primer and PVC glue will do the trick. The trick to no leaks is the glue the inside of the bulkhead and outside of the pvc before inserting, then you want to turn 90 degrees both left and right, and hold.

If you're worried about re-plumbing the tank later, or don't want to go through the hassle of sawing off a bulkhead to use that box on another tank just use pvc unions. they're like $5 at HD.

Yeah I always laugh at the plumbing section of the LFS that has PVC fitting that are like 3 dollars when a hardware store has them for less than a buck. Or 10 dollars for a valve that is a couple.

Brian

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Ill be working on this over the weekend. Not sure WHY I didnt think about gluing a pipe inside the bulkhead. Guess I was too wrapped up into trying to find something that would fit the threads.

Ill update when I get it all put together.

Back