Established, well, kind of.

Tx4Codeman

Reefing newb
Hello LRs!

I'm new to the forum and looking to fish for some info (teehee) through the forum. I have had my 29g biocube for roughly 6 months, that was already established with live rock, minimal coral, and at the time a blue damsel that simply didn't get along with anybody. Through much of this time, and quite a few losses, this is what I'm sitting on today. I've listed what I DO know, and if there's anything anyone spots, I appreciate the info!

29g BioCube w/ skimmer, heater

Fish: purple dottyback, clown, blue tang.
Corals: Button Polyp, kenya tree
Inverts: sand sifting sea star, 2x large margarita snails(?), misc hermies and snails (maybe 10 total) - I heard 1 per gallon, so I'll get more during my next water change.

The tank today:
1355259564212.jpg

The 3 fish:
img20130326171622702.jpg

Star showing himself (very rare)
img20130326171545816.jpg

Some corals:
img20130326162835172.jpg

img20130326162817914.jpg

One of the two larger snails
img20130326162858250.jpg

What I'm trying to get rid of..

film at the top:
img20130326162701466.jpg

algae (more inverts should fix?)
img20130326162715090.jpg

And this green guy..
img20130326163506745.jpg

investigating wth it is..
img20130326163801040.jpg

I've also noticed my blue tang rubbing against the rocks every few days. Researching online, I've read this could be ich (parasite issue). I've heard many different ideas on water changes, but I'll do a 5 gallon change every 2 weeks. I also run the lights 8 hours each day (was 12).

That's quite a bit for now.

Hello and welcome to the site!!

A couple things to start you off...

Unfortunately, your tank is a bit too small for your blue tang. They need at least eight feet of swimming room (even the little ones). Please bring him as well as the sandsifting stars (who will quickly starve in a small, young tank) back to the fish store.

Also margarita snails are a cold water species that slowly boil to death in our tanks over a the course of a couple months. There are loads of other snails that are more well-suited for a reef tank at the proper temperature.

Hello and welcome to the site!!

A couple things to start you off...

Unfortunately, your tank is a bit too small for your blue tang. They need at least eight feet of swimming room (even the little ones). Please bring him as well as the sandsifting stars (who will quickly starve in a small, young tank) back to the fish store.

Also margarita snails are a cold water species that slowly boil to death in our tanks over a the course of a couple months. There are loads of other snails that are more well-suited for a reef tank at the proper temperature.

+1 to what Erin has stated. Also, you are going to need some more flow in there. I have a pair of Koralia 3 powerheads in my 24 Nano. You need to get flow to move the water in the tank, as well as break the surface of the water.

Big thanks to my LFS. The tank currently has 2 powerheads. One on the left back wall that looks like the stock method of flow for the biocube, and one on the right side also pictured. I can order a third. Any recommendations for a replacement of the sand sifting star? I forgot to mention and will add to my list, i have 2 Olive snails. I know the tank is low on inverts, if it truly is the best mix of having 1 per gallon. My LFS recommended 10 snails/20 hermies.

The one on the left is the return from your back chambers. Add another like the one you have on the right side. Aim them toward the front of the tank. That will give it more of a swirling movement inside the tank itself. You may have to move them closer to the waters surface in order to get the movement on the surface you want.

So is Koralia the reputable brand for these power heads? I'll go ahead and order another. Everything else reasonable? 5g change every 2 weeks? Timer giving 8 hours of light? Are the 30 inverts an appropriate replacement for the large snails and star? Much appreciated.

Big thanks to my LFS. The tank currently has 2 powerheads. One on the left back wall that looks like the stock method of flow for the biocube, and one on the right side also pictured. I can order a third. Any recommendations for a replacement of the sand sifting star? I forgot to mention and will add to my list, i have 2 Olive snails. I know the tank is low on inverts, if it truly is the best mix of having 1 per gallon. My LFS recommended 10 snails/20 hermies.

I would get about 10 to 15 Nassariouse snails, they will do a good job on the sand bed, but you might also want to get some extra shels for your hermits so they wont kill off the snails for there shels.

But defenetly get that Blue Tang and SS star out of the tank ASAP, i had a SS Start in my 125gl tank for about 5 months and it died from what i think to be starvation because my tank was only about 4 months old when i got him. Noe im packed with a sand sifting goby nassariuse snails and about 4 conches to keep my sand clean and its working pretty good.

Back