Euro-Reef or Berlin Protein Skimmer???

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Hey everyone.

I have had freshwater fish for about 5 years now. I decided to make an attempt for saltwater fish. I do not plan to keep corals anytime soon, but maybe in the futur (in 6-12 months) I would love to start keeping corals as well as fish in my 90 gallon tank. My budget is not the biggest of all! And someone told me I should buy the Euro-Reef skimmer. After reading reviews, the Euro-Reef CS100 seems like a great skimmer, but the price is great as well! What do you think if I get the Berlin instead? What is the major differences between the 2 skimmers? I obviously want something that will do an efficient job.... Any help? Any toughts? I am new to all this and clearly don't have a clue of the difference between the 2 skimmers...

I would really appreciate any help at all... Or any toughts that you may have... As I am clueless.... The berlin seems like a good skimmer, cheaper then the Euro-reef... NEED SOME HELP on making my decision on which to buy:frustrat: !!!!!

Thank you in advance!

The Euros and the berlins are nice units but I think they are both overpriced. If you are looking at doing a 90G then you might want to look at one of the aqua C skimmers. (people are going to start thinking I work for them) (I don't by the way!) I just love my Remora Pro. It keeps my 60 really really clean I have been running 0 nitrates since I put it on the the tank.

Aqua C Protein Skimmer.... Hum.. I'm gonna start looking into these skimmers and see.... What is the difference between all these skimmers? All I really want is something that will work good for my tank and something that will work as good if I add on corals....

Thank you for your reply.. I will definitely look into that!

Here is a link that might help in your search for the best cheap skimmer. myself I will be using the Euroreef. very well constructed, a very dry foam, but, I also will be running a Turbo floter 1000 multi, and a CPR CY 294. You may want to check out the CPR CY 194. Good luck, hope the link helps.
Your Protein Skimmers Directory..

If your looking for a euro reef skimmer, but the price tag is to high check out the ASM skimmers. They are exact knockoffs of euroreef and just use a little lower quality materials to construct, but the results are the same.

Brandon

Thank you everyone for your toughts and reply! It greatly helps! I still can't make up my mind! There is just so many brands, and prices.... But I actually have a lot more tools to shop around now!

:sfish:

Skimmers have always been a tough decision for me also, I have bought and replaced about every skimmer out there. starting with the worst was the berlin triple pass skimmer. it worked but poorly. then I bought a Aqua c in sump ev90 it did ok but was under powered for my tank. I then bought a euro reef cs8-2. it was the second worst skimmer and the most expensive. I then went to a ETSS 800. Im very happy with it. I also use a remora pro and it is a very good skimmer. it may be alittle underpowered for a 90 gallon but as long as you dont get alot of fish and corals it would be fine. If you have to try a euro reef I would recommend you get a ASM. they are the same skimmer and if you dont like it you want be out as much money. good luck

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Ironman, Thanx for the reply. I am still questionning on which skimmer to buy! I tought I got my mind set on the Red Sea Berlin skimmer, but after your reply, I guess I just changed my mind!

I would like to keep a couple fish in there and some corals as well (just bought myself a nice lighting system). I do not want to have a skimmer that will not work efficently and not do the job. I tought the skimmer would be the easiest thing to purchase, and it seems like I can t make up my mind!! :frustrat: Any suggestions for a 90 gallon with some fish and some corals?
Thank you!

Im assuming that you do have a sump based on the skimmers youve been researching? I feel that a skimmer is the hardest thing to purchase, everyone has different opinions and preferences. what works for one person may not for another. The euro reefs are a very reputable skimmer with a reputable price tag. you may buy one and it be the best thing ever. I personally used mine for 2 months and sold it in diskust. The red sea berlin was the first skimmer I bought and It was worse than the euro reef. it looked really neat and sounded good with all the technology crap but it didnt pull any crap out of the tank. the Aqua C in sump ev90 was a good skimmer and pulled alot of stuff out of the water, but it was only rated for a 100 gallon lightly stocked tank. I have a 120 heavily stocked tank. I also use a remora pro on a frag tank I have and it has worked great. it is a hang on back skimmer though, they do make a in sump that is very similar though. Im not sure what the sump space is that you have to work with but I would recomend you look at these as potential options.
1.Aqua C - EV120
2. ETSS 600
3. My Reef Creations
4. ASM
5. aqua C urchin
just some ideas

Ironman,

No, As we are talking, my tank is empty and I am still debating on a bunch of stuff... I still do not know if I want a sump or not.. So I guess this dosn't help me pick a skimmer... I think I will start without a sump and see from there... Euro-Reef makes some hang on skimmers... Berlin makes some hang on skimmers as well....

As for the sump, this is another thing I am still debating... Is it worth it? or not..? I do not have a clue on how to assemble everything in there and so on.....So I guess I will start just with basic stuff, and add on as I go... SO for the Sump, no, I don t think I will have one(or at least not to start... ). So I am looking for a Hang On skimmer.... I will definetely look into the skimmers you listed.. and hopefully find something that might work for me...

lol... So complicated to start up a new tank.... Especially when you don t have a clue on what youre doing... And all these new things.... lol... My tank is just in the dining room, sitting there empty. Everyday I look at it and it bothers me so bad to see an empty tank! But I guess it s just a matter of time... Deciding what I want, and what I need or not....

Thank you so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated!!!:D

I was just looking at the Remora Pro, and it says that it is made for 75+ Gal.
Would you think it would be sufficient for my tank if I plan to have fish + Corals.... ?

You should be ok with that skimmer provided you do not overstock your tank. There are two sized and I would recommend the larger one. If you check with the people at Marine depot, they can advise you which would be best for your system. They have always been very helpful with me on product questions. below is a link.

Need Advice before
You Purchase?
Call Us
1-714-385-0080
Monday-Friday
7am-6pm PST
Saturday
8am-4pm PST
www.marinedepot.com

Last edited:
I honestly feel that if you have to have a hang on back skimmer that the best option by far is the remora pro. some listings list it as 75 gallons or bigger, others list it as 40 - 120 gallon. the diference is how overboard you go with fish and corals. for starting out and for the long haul its the best bet. If you realize that you are adicted and need more stuff after a year you will probly need to start using a sump anyway, and then you can start all over in your search for a in sump model. I would recommend that you get the remora with the mag pump instead of the rio, and order the prefilter box as well.

:^: So I guess my mission for the protein skimmer in over. I really do not plan on having a lot of fish....

I would like to get 1 yellow tang, 2-3 clown fish, I also want an urchin, and 1 starfish, a couple shrimps...

Then I'd love to make an attemps to keep anemones, and polyps and that kind of stuff.... Is it real hard to take care of?

One more thing, I am planning on buying abour 120 lbs of live rock. As my tank is empty now, what is the best choice? Cured or un-cured? I know they sell the base live rock at Big Al's beside my home for $5.88/per pound... But the base rock dosn't look all that great.... Will coraline and pretty stuff start growing on base rock? There is someone on E-bay selling the Live fiji rock for $2.25 per pound + Shipping cost.... But it is Un-cured... You people probably went trough all this before the curing process and so on.... Is it worth it to cure it yourself? Is the smell all that bad? Is the wait worth it?

Anyhow, I'm glad the skimmer is out of the question now. Now, my mind is set on the remora pro with the mag pump. :^: Thank you to all of you for your time getting back to me with my 1001 questions... Some questions may be stupid, but when you don't know... you don't know....

Thank you again!

Good choice and I think you will be happy with it. And don't worry about the questions that is why we are here! Let us know what else you need help with. I would also either go with base rock and then seed with good quality cured LR of just get uncured and let the uncured cycle the tank for you. This will only work if there is not any livestock in the tank currently though. I would never spend the money on all LR.

Ironman,
I was looking at the Remora Pro with the Mag 3 pump on marineandreef.com. You stated to get the pre filter box as well... I was looking at it.. but where does it goes? what does it do? Does it hang at the outside of the tank? Or inside..? lol... This is just a big puzzle to me...
Thanx!

I run mine without the box and it works very well for me. The box is not small so it would be fine if you have a large area that you don't mind putting it. But I didn't like the look and didn't want something that large in my tank. It covers the pump inside the tank.

I did some additional research on skimmers for you. I can now say I agree with your choice of the remora pro, and only have to add that the Mag pump over the rio is advised as you have already noted. will perform better with the mag. pump. keep us posted on your progress.

:shock: I can't thank everyone enogh!! All of you have been a great help with your toughts and research! And also with the experience.....Well, for the pre filter box, I guess I can wait and see if I need it later on... I can always purchase it at a later time... My mind is definetely set on the Aqua C Remora Pro with the Mag pump...

What about the power heads or wave makers...? Any toughts or ideas??... Just started looking at it and I'm clueless again....:shock: :frustrat:

Will definetely keep you all posted on the progress!! And I will probably have a thousand more questions....

Thank you!

Back