Evaporation lines on tank.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by smelvin, Jan 16, 2007.

1. smelvin

smelvin

My tank as I said is 180 gallons. Tried like a year and a half ago to make it salt water. I hurried and without the proper equipment all failed. So I went back and did freshwater. I added some blugill and some fish I caught to go along with the whole cabin fill I want to go with in my gameroom. Well that got old really fast. Just does not have the beauty that marine has. so got rid of all the fish. Tank has just been sitting with water evaporating over time. I know bad me. Well as punishment it seems to have got evaporation lines on it that are really hard to get off of the glass. What is it? And how do I get it off to make the tank glass look crystal clear like when I got it?

smelvin, Jan 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. smelvin

bobby I like to do bad things.

To get mine off I went to walmart and got a sponge with a net on it, and scrubbed the glass, didnt take long and cleaned up good. The evape line I'm guessing is minerales in the water that hardend to the glass as the water evaped. If you get a sponge make sure there are no chemicals in it some have moldicides in them so be carefull and read the package.

bobby, Jan 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. smelvin

smelvin

Thanks for the quick reply Bobby. Do I use straight water or should I add somekind of cleaning agent?. Also I was told that after the tank is cleaned with soap or what have you. I was told to wipe the tank down a few times with rubbing alchehol. They said that it is steril and it will take any residue out of the tank. And they said since it evaporates so fast that it is safe. Ever heard of this anyone?

smelvin, Jan 16, 2007
  4. smelvin

bobby I like to do bad things.

I know there are things you can use but I have alway used water. I think you can use vinager, but before you do, wait for someone else to jump in here that has used it. Just try water first and if it dont work then resort to chemicals. I have always used water because it feels safer, and the water has always worked for me, however , it might take a little more elbow grease.

bobby, Jan 16, 2007
    smelvin likes this.
  5. smelvin

JellyMan

vinegar can be used just rinse it well you be fine I use it on all my stuff that goes in my aquarium works fine. You can also buy a tank cleaner in most fish stores comes in a spray bottle and is blue that and a sponge and you should be good as new! Hope this helps.

JellyMan, Jan 16, 2007
    smelvin likes this.
  6. smelvin

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yep vinegar is probably the safest of the things you have laying around the house. You should never use soap or bleach, but vinegar is fine.

Bifferwine, Jan 17, 2007
    smelvin likes this.
  7. smelvin

squibley2

I have always found that a simple single edge razor blade works wonders. Or you can get a scrapper which I use to clean the glass anyway to remove the Coraline from the front glass. I would use just water and a razor blade and a sponge.

squibley2, Jan 17, 2007
    smelvin likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question