Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by sen5241b, Feb 22, 2010.
Ever electrocuted yourself during tank maintenance?
nope but I have electrocuted myself a few different other ways.
Never during tank maintenace but numerous other times around the house...then there was the time with the electric fence...mythbusters is wrong!
I picked no just because you put the stipulation "doing tank maintanance" Overall, I have been hit more times than I can count.
Ive zapped myself twice on a tank. Other than that 277 volt lighting was the most painful. Im glad I could kick off of the volts since I could not let go with my hand.
Yeah Ive been hit with 277. Your mind is telling you hands to let go but your muscles just become stuborn about listening. Lucky the breaker tripped when my Kliens hit the box. Have a nice battle scar on them from it.
Learned my leason any time working on 277/480 the power is gets turned off. Dont give a damn if I gotta tell 100 office workers to go get some flash lights.
Yeah, my dad one time got zapped by three 220s when he was working as an electrician. Spent a night in the hospital after that one. His partner never cut the power even though he was supposed to cut it.
My battlescar was an entry and exit wound on my thumb and palm. Luckily they didnt last forever
I don't know if it counts as electricuted, but I got grounded a couple of times because my powerhead which was old as dirt was going bad and put some voltage on the water. I just sort of tingled my fingertips.
Thats good. I have gotten shocked a few times with the tank. But just mainly from changing out 110 outlets.
I had an entry wound about 1/8 inch in diameter on my thumb and never did find an exit wound though.
Bet your dad started checking everything before he cut after that motor. Glad he was ok.
Yep thats being zaped.
Remember it only takes 30 Volts to kill you under worst case senario
Yes, He really doesnt talk about it that much. But I can look at his hands that are scared from it and know to respect voltage.
I dunno how many have seen em but my hands look like someone went after em with a hammer. Course I have enjoyed working with them for many years now.
voltage hurts...milliamps kill...( sort of lol )
in 18 years as an electrician i can honestly say iv only been hit maybe 5 times all 120V or lower. most of those as a 1st or 2nd year apprentice
Unless Im in water I usually do not turn off power for 110. But for 220s the power goes off immediately. Then I test it before I start on them.
Glad to have a fellow electrician on the board here.:Cheers:
You know that 220 is really just 2 110s added. Normally your getting zapped by only 110 even though you think its 220. The deadliest voltage is 110.
Edit: And again it only takes 30 volts to kill you
i work on live up to 347V on a dialy basis, and im comfortable with it unless the JB is a mess or something just dosnt sit right. most sparkies will know what i mean by a voice in thier heads that goes off just looking at something, just looks or feels out of place.
for the big switch gear sets, usualy always have a second guy around just in case
Separate names with a comma.