everything is dying

motivation16

Reefing newb
wondering if anyone has any other ideas, we have a 125gal. Saltwater tank with 100+lbs of live rock that was set up in October of 2011. Tranfered our two clown from our 40 gal that was set up for 4 years, after 6 weeks, have a reef octupus and 55 gal. sump. also a aquiapure filter. Started to introduce new fish about 3 weeks after that and got a batch of sick fish w/o knowing. They all looked clean and healthy when we got them however found out later the tank they came from was very neglected.They all formed a slime on them two days after putting in the tank. We are now down to three snails and a large sail fin, and fox face. All other fish we put in the tank gets the slime or what looks like ick but more slime to it. We have tried numerous fish, three clowns, anthias, coral beauty, lawn mower blenny, and now the anenome has died. However the sailfin and fox face still look great. All levels are great, water is at 80 degrees, no traces anything. Anyone have any ideas what else it could be or how to fix?

I know some fish can build enough immunity to ich to survive and that's why the two fish are okay. I haven't heard of other diseases that would happen, so I would think it's ich. Read the sticky about ich in the fish disease section. You may want to treat the two fish for ich in a separate quarantine tank, while leaving your 125 fishless for 6-8 weeks. Then you'll be free of it as long as you quarantine all new arrivals and treat them for ich. But with those two fish I think you'd need at least a 40 gal quarantine tank. Good luck.

The anemone could just be a fluke since things that would effect the fish wouldn't attack inverts.
I'm guessing Oodenium(sp?). If that's the case,you need to leave the tank fishless for 8 to 12 weeks.

The anemone could just be a fluke since things that would effect the fish wouldn't attack inverts.
I'm guessing Oodenium(sp?). If that's the case,you need to leave the tank fishless for 8 to 12 weeks.

That's marine velvet right? I didn't know that some fish could have immunity to that, I thought that was only with ich. Good to know. Does that mean someone could purchase a fish carrying velvet and not know it even if they observed the fish through a 6-week quarantine?

It's entirely possible.
We've had entire tanks wiped out with it at the LFS.Our only saving grace was all our tanks are on individual filtration systems.So when we loose fish to something like that,we'll actually run bleach in that tank for a week,then recycle it.
BUT,we wont sale out of that tank and we'll put those fish in our QT tanks and treat heavy with copper.

Back