Evil Hermits Harassing Star Polps

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
For the first time ever in my tank, last night I saw a good sized hermit crawling over my Green Star Polyps. They were retracted and it looked like some polyps were eaten away. Its funny because, generally my crabs leave the corals alone. Anybody seen this happen with hermits?

I've seen hermits crawl all over different corals.Even watched them eat the mucus that leathers shed.But have never known of them actually harming the coral itself.

I've been saying for a long time that crabs are reef safe only if they are small. One lesson I learned: do NOT give them bigger shells!
I think I'm going to be joining the Crabs Are Evil Society.

You cant really blame the crabs.I mean if your gonna leave food laying around in the star polyps,the crabs are gonna go after it.:mrgreen:

Ha! Tell that to my acans after they rip them apart to take the food from within their stomachs. Crabs are EVIL! or at least, extremely motivated to eat everything they possibly can. :)

You may be on to something... I like it, none of this bickering back and forth, just solutions! Thanks David. Now if I could just be less evil...

If your corals didnt hoard all the food,then the hermits wouldnt have to be so forceful to get a decent meal.:D

My hermits have tried ripping button polyps open to take their food. I'm thinking about setting up a little plastic jail cell in my tank for criminal minded crabs. I'll post pics.

Hmmm... Maybe we should start a Corals Are Evil society, and just leave the crabs alone.

When you think about it,corals are pretty dang evil.I mean they DO get us addicted to the hobby.They drive us crazy with their on again,ogg again growth.:mrgreen:

Back