Experiences with Regal and Majestic Angels

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig

Background: I finally have my old tank up and running again. It is a 120 gallon (4x2x2). I added about 100lbs of dry base rock (Marco Rock) and about 50lbs of cured live rock. All my levels have been good for the last few weeks (NH4 = 0; N02 = 0; pH = 8.3). I added a small CUC about 10 days ago (3 turbos, 1 peppermint shrimp, 2 emerald crabs; 6 blue leg hermits). All animals seem healthy and happy. This weekend I got a pair of true percula clowns, a small anemone they were hosting, and a small colony of xenia. I eventually plan to have LPS and SPS. No clams.

Question: I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with either a Regal or Majestic angelfish in a reef tank. Both of these fish are shy, and should be the first fish I add (as opposed to a flame angel, which should usually be the last fish). I will be adding my first fish :sfish:within the next month or so (the clowns don’t count) Of course I love both the Regal and the Majestic. I was contemplating adding both a juvenile Regal and a juvenile Majestic at the same time, but I’m not sure a 120 will be adequate for two medium angels in the long term. If anyone disagrees, please let me know. Also, I am a little worried about these fish in a reef. Anyone have good or bad experiences? (I kept a regal last time, and he was great, but this may be the exception not the rule)

I've never kept either of those 2 fish.But any angel in a reef is a 50/50 shot at best.They may never touch a single coral,but on the other hand,they may wipe out all your coral within a week.
Dont think I would try both in a 120 either.I think it would just be too small.

Zoa's, fleshy LPS and clams would probably be lunch. 50/50 for SPS. If you don't plan on these corals, either would be OK.

in a reef tank a regal angel would be one of the top contenders for safety, the usually jsut stick to eating zoas but you need to make sure its a red sea angel since they are the hardiest of the regals

+1 Dustin P74 I have never had Angels but if i did go with an angel i would have to be the flame angel but you have to add him last!

Take it from me, either have angels or have corals. You'll only be kicking yourself when you see those angels eating your new $xxxx corals, then realize the only way to catch them is to break the rockwork down (unless someone knows of a better, more effective, less disturbing way)...
Just my opinion.

Hey all, thanks for your comments here. I decided to get a juvenile Majestic. He arrived healthy and happy from bluezooaquatics.com (thanks again Dustin) and is now enjoying the temperate waters of my reef tank. He began eating immediately, and, while shy, seems to be happy.

So, to answer the reef-safe question I posted, the answer is "No. They eat button polyps like candy." Good thing I don't have much of a liking for button polyps, and the ones I have were part of some live rock I bought. I There are not many other corals in the tank right now besides a small colony of Xenia and some Zoas. Maybe I will step up his feeding to see if it curbs his appetite.

Last edited:
Back