experts needed!!!

RigoSharon

LIVING REEFS INTERN
hey guys..this polyped type coral was found at a reef in buye beach, it has to be feed every polyp individually like the sun coral..could it be related to the sun coral??..it extends its tiny filaments and grabs flakes, shrimp, etc..heres a nic pic were it was hungry
sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

sun1.jpg

There Palythoa(nickname sea mat,button polyps)
Similar to zoas except they like to eat but it isn't necessary to feed them.Mine will gorge on cyclopeeze if I feed mine.I have hitchhiker palys with my orange zoas and some super size green/brown ones.

and also i found this interesting advise..
Caution! All species of Palythoa produce a chemical called Palytoxin, which is a very potent neurotoxin. It is found in the heavy mucus coat of these species. These species must be handled very cautiously. It is very important to wear hand protection when touching these animals - especially if the handler has any breaks in his or her skin. After handling these animals, proper hand-washing is recommended.

Yep!.....that goes for zoos too.
Yote know first hand what they can do.I had to freshwater dip my zoos earlier this year.I was paranoid as heck.

gosh...im a moron..i handle all my zoas bare hands, even reefing i touch them with no gloves..i was swimming the other day on top of a huge colony of zoas..almost my chest touch them..yikes ..ive been lucky..ive heard this warning before, but ive been a complete ass about it...ill be more cautious from now on...

Great coral rigo. I also handle mine with no glove and a couple time with cuts on my hand and have had no affects yet, maybe I'm also lucky though.

As long as you remember to wash your good after you handle them,and dont handle with open cuts,rub your eyes,pick your nose,orsuck on your fingers,you should be alright.
But I can personally gaurantee that if you ever get sick from them,you'll never forget it.:death:

Back