Explain how this woman wasn't charged.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Feb 17, 2013.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

She admitted to purposefully sprinkling cayenne pepper all over the grounds where dogs go and blatantly leaving the empity containers in conspicuous spots to be seen. Yet...she hasn't been charged? It's not like she accidentally spilled cayenne. She blatantly said that she did it because she was tired of the poo. I understand her frustration with people not cleaning up after their pets, but why do this? She needs to be arrested, otherwise others might get the same idea with no repercussions. She actually admits that she loves dogs, too. wtf??

A few dogs got burned on their paws, and some ingested the stuff. Can you imagine if the dog scratched and got it in their ears and eyes???

Outrage among pet owners in Seattle after dog burned by cayenne pepper - U.S. News

wontonflip, Feb 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

Wow. Usually people start with the signage, then move onto fines.

bjohanson1234, Feb 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

Treezer8

Yea, she has the intent to harm the animals so she should be charged..
    There was a case that I just learned about, where a guy rigged his door to a shotgun, and when someone would try to trespass on his property and enter the house, they would get shot. A guy was going to rob his house or shed or something, opened the door, and was shot. Not sure if he was killed or not. I forgot what the house owner was charged with but he had to do some hard time, AND pay the guy that was robbing him. Same thing goes for people that rig their mailboxes with razors or whatever, as another example.

Treezer8, Feb 17, 2013
  4. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

Well... All of you know I would be the first to decry any sort of animal abuse. But I'm very skeptical of this story. It is common to use cayenne pepper to keep dogs out of things. You can sprinkle cayenne on your plants outside if you don't want your dogs to eat them (I've done this). You can sprinkle cayenne on your garbage if you don't want your dog to get into it (I haven't done this). I have never heard of any ill effects from cayenne pepper, especially just dogs touching it. Hundreds of dollars in vet bills from the dog coming into contact with it? I worked at a vet for 2 1/2 years. I have amassed tens of thousands of dollars in vet bills over the years taking care of my abused/neglected/abandoned/disabled pets. Even as a die hard animal lover, I'm calling BS on this story -- at least, the parts where the animals suffered harm.

It even says in the story that cayenne is not toxic to animals, but it CAN be an irritant. That's probably why she wasn't charged.

Bottom line, people need to pick up after their dogs. Leaving your dog shit all over a public place is not cool, and I can totally understand why this woman would be fed up with it. I would definitely not go as far as sprinkling cayenne all over the ground to keep the dogs away, but she does have a point -- she just went about addressing it in a very misguided way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    Bifferwine, Feb 17, 2013
  5. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

Well that's just stupid! What if there's an emergency, or your friend plans a surprise party for you, or there's a gas leak, or whatever! You'd better know what you're shooting at before you pull that trigger (or before that trigger pulls itself in this case).

Bifferwine, Feb 17, 2013
  6. wontonflip

Treezer8

Well he did it because the same people kept trying to rob him a few days earlier or something.

Treezer8, Feb 17, 2013
  7. wontonflip

I can see your point. my initial reaction was shock that it was blatant and that the vet said there was some burning cuz i mean, a vet said it, right? guess that's how the news gets your attention. plus i noticed it was just one person featured. maybe her dog was allergic to cayenne and had a worze reaction. can you imagine if the dog got it in his eyes?

wontonflip, Feb 18, 2013
  8. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

It's a very common way to repel dogs. There are tons of sites (and even vets) that recommend using cayenne. This person probably googled "How to keep dogs off my lawn" and got a thousand hits back from people recommending to sprinkle cayenne on the grass. Using cayenne is a recommendation that can be found on almost any gardening website. Maybe that dog was particularly sensitive and really was harmed by it. Or maybe the owner is lying because he/she is pissed off that they were finally busted for leaving shit all over the place. I don't think it's that bad as long as it's YOUR yard, and dogs are not supposed to be in the yard. If you were to sprinkle it in a dog owner's yard, well that would be mean. :lol:

Does Cayenne Pepper Repel Dogs? | eHow.com
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg042205302836.html
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03jul14a.cfm#.USGsO2dfKvk
    http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/cat_repellents.htm
    http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/organic-pest-control-gardening-red-pepper-3140.html

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Bifferwine, Feb 18, 2013
  9. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

I can see it cause vet bills. Even if it isn't harmful just irritating.

You are walking your dog, all of a sudden, she is acting strange.
    You as a concerned pet owner take her to the vet
    Vet charges you for bringing her in.
    Depending on the area and the going rate for vet care, it could easily be several hundred dollars.

As for the dog having burns, I doubt it. I believe that the reporter here is over reporting. Imagine forgetting to wash your hands after cutting some jalapenos. You come out of the bathroom and "it burns!!!" but you are not physically burnt.

The property manager should not have done this especially without posting signage to not let your dogs poop on the property.

bjohanson1234, Feb 18, 2013
  10. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

One of my first rough "mom lessons" was I roasted a bunch of mixed peppers in the oven -- jalapenos, anaheim, poblanos, etc. Once they are black on the outside, I steam them inside a ziplock bag, then strip the skin off and remove the seeds... Oh and then I play with the baby. LOL.

Luckily that didn't end with a trip to the pediatrician. I noticed very quickly that she didn't seem to like me holding her for some reason!

Bifferwine, Feb 18, 2013
  11. wontonflip

Maybe her soul sucker radar detected you trying to suck out her soul? :shock: Actually the hubby, just last week, couldn't get the pepper he just chopped to wash off from his hands. An hour later, he rubbed his eye. and it BURNED LOL I saw he left shot glasses with traces of milk on the counter from him trying to wash out his eye LOL

wontonflip, Feb 18, 2013
  12. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

No, it's impossible to wash that stuff off of your hands. I washed really well after I handled them, and didn't get it off.

Men -- don't use the bathroom after cooking with chile peppers, even if you have washed first!! :D

Bifferwine, Feb 18, 2013
  13. wontonflip

sen5241b

I've used cayenne in my garden to ward off squirrels. Dogs are smart enough to detect something spicy like cayenne and not snort it up.

sen5241b, Feb 18, 2013
  14. wontonflip

Neno reefs

I love jalapeno peppers and so does my dog, If anyone drops one she is right there eating it. You would think it would burn her mouth but I guess it doesn't. I have no idea if they are healthy or not so I don’t give them to her but sometimes she still gets them if they are dropped by accident... Silly doggie LOL

Neno reefs, Feb 18, 2013
  15. wontonflip

sen5241b

and I assume your dog showed no ill effects?

sen5241b, Feb 18, 2013
  16. wontonflip

Neno reefs

Nope no ill effects,

Neno reefs, Feb 18, 2013
  17. wontonflip

Ted Living one day at a time

Gloves are a wonderful thing in the kitchen...

Ted, Feb 19, 2013
  18. wontonflip

Neno reefs

:Cheers:

Neno reefs, Feb 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question