External Skimmers

kbuser92

Breeder
So here's the plan: since I don't have a sump, I'd like to get an external skimmer rated for at least 40 gallons. I also would like to do some surface skimming, so is it possible to put an overflow style box in the back and have an external skimmer draw from that?

And the big question is what is a GOOD skimmer for a decent price? Range is probably <$200.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Reef octopus and remora c seem to have the best reviews for hob skimmers
I'm using a old prism skimmer which works but it could be better it has a surface skimming attachment but it doesn't work all that well, I think I will mod it in the near future with a in tank overflow wall.

i've had the remora. it does work but it's a pain in the butt.the vent hole in the pipe gets plugged up all the time and you have to clean it. q tip works good. after a year or so mine just slowed down and stopped working. now i am using an aquamedic. mine works great and not to noisy. go one size bigger then you need, then if you overstock you will still be ok.

I've read nothing but great things on the Aquamaxx HOB1. I'm also a fan of anything from octopus for bang for your buck

Back