extreme newbie here

bubblemaker

Reefing newb
hey every one,
i am of course new here, i am researching the exciting world of marine/saltwater tanks. we dont have any tanks set up yet but that is why i joined.lol need as much info and help/tips so with in the next couple of years we can own a good size tank with as much knowledge as i can get.
i i borrowed a book from friend is seems good, but i need more, hehe. does any one have a recommendation of a great book ? price is not a concern
thank ya!

hey thanks for the quick reply! i did check the recommended books but still was not sure of what book would be good. i will have to pick up The Contientious Marine Aquarist. i always like to research as much as i can before i get into something new. it is the same thing i tell my customers when they want to get into reptiles.lol
thanks again for being so quick.

Hey, I'm new to it all as well. Setting up my first tank in the next week. There is a wealth of information here, you found the right place! Welcome!

awe thank ya, i have been to one other forum but they really seem to busy to really help a newbie. i found it a bit weird when some one told me there that books are a waste of time and money, they suggest just to read the stickies and i should have all the info i need.
our long term plans are setting up a very large tank so i really need/want to reseach it properly.
thanks every one for being so nice to me.

awe thank ya, i have been to one other forum but they really seem to busy to really help a newbie. i found it a bit weird when some one told me there that books are a waste of time and money, they suggest just to read the stickies and i should have all the info i need.
our long term plans are setting up a very large tank so i really need/want to reseach it properly.
thanks every one for being so nice to me.

I'm not gonna say that person was right or wrong, different strokes for different folks I guess. I started off looking into books and such, but most of my knowledge came from searching subjects(Articles) online and reading multiple diff opinions before making my own best judgment. Sometimes books cover either too wide and thin span of knowledge too much too slow.

Just my :twocents:

I found these forums and are more than sufficient. Let me direct you to the archives: :)
Technical Archive of Aquarium Articles

I found these forums and are more than sufficient. Let me direct you to the archives: :)
Technical Archive of Aquarium Articles

Our articles are great, but keep in mind to see them, you need to change the search parameters at the bottom to show articles from the beginning, not the last 30 days. I wonder if that feature can be changed? I think they'd be more accessible if they weren't treated like regular forum posts.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist guys.Contentious means something else entirely.
There are alot of outdated books out there so do be weary.
Welcome to site and hobby!We are here to help.

or, if you have a question just go look in the archives section first :) Its categorized kinda like a library :glassesy:

but your right Biff, if archives did come up at the top of the search automatically I'm sure there would be less questions =P

Last edited:
I think a combination of books, internet, and live input from other aquarists is good because you get your info from the books and internet, and then updates from aquarists to help keep you up to date. We would let you know what worked and what didn't work for us. I never got any books, but did rely on a lot of internet sites and this forum. I was also lucky to have an LFS that actually was knowledgeable.

very cool, guys. i found some of them and there is alot of reading (sweet!)
what brand is good for most things like filters, protine skimmers,ect? i have been seeing lot of red sea products. i have visited a few shops but have not really found any one to be knoweldgeable, we are going to see a shop today that only deals with saltwater aquariums.
also is there is cheat sheet on here for us newbies explaing the shorten words like LFS ? lol trying to figure them out, not having any luck..lol
oh and what do i look for when searching for good live rock? there are many here however they are in large tubs and some of the rocks are sticking out of the water.
thanks again every one for the great tips!

I know LFS is local fish store...there are a bunch of abreviations I'm still figuring out myself though! Your lucky, I have no LFS near me that has any saltwater. I have to drive 1.5-2hrs to get to one. So its an all day trip for me to head to the city! As far as rock, you will want good base rock to build on top of, and then go for rock that you like the look of. There are some pests that will come with rock so you want to avoid some of those aptasia is one I've heard about. Though I'm sure your going to get some better responses from the folks that actually know suff!

Back