eye bump...

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
So my last night my tang had two small bumps below her eye. today they look slightly bigger. Heres the best pics I could get.
eyebump.jpg

eyebump2.jpg

Any ideas? I thought she may have bumped into something or scratched herself, but now I dont know.

Shes eating ok, always food soaked in garlic. Water params are all good except for nitrates at about 40ppm

Last edited:
its probably just from here rubbing up against a rock, my tangs do it all the time, but i havent seen a problem from it, but thats my guess

My Kole tang gets those on his body sometimes, and they go away on their own eventually. I think it's from him bumping into rocks, as I've seen him be quite clumsy when he swims.

So this morning she was acting really strange. Hiding in the back and freaking out around the tank. I went and got RO for a change and now shes out, but still acting wierd and has white spots all over her head. No where else, just her head. Shes also breathing pretty hard. Im going to do a water change and I treated the tank with primafix and melafix.

OOH, parasites. Cryptocaryon irritans. <ICH> Before they were imbedded parasites (trophonts) IE. the bump were parasites under the skin, they are now at the tomant stage. Soon each tomont (white spot) will release up to 200 tomites (free swimming babies). All these tomites will look for live hosts. The stresses involved in the higher temperatures experienced in the spring and summer often is marked by Ick infestations.

HLLE doesn't look like that... Since you are seeing white spots, I agree with Fatman, sounds like ich. It's up to you to decide if you want to remove the fish and treat it, or leave it alone and help it fight it off on its own.

First pic- You can see the extreme amount of white dots on her head. This is the only place they are except for a small line down her body which you can kind of see.
Second pic-A full pic of her left side, you can see the bumps well and some white dots
third pic- full pic of her right side. here you can see more dots and the line down her body. Notice no dots on fins.
fourth pic- better pic of bumps and dots. Hope this help see what may be going on.

Oooooh, Ich! Looks too big to be velvet. Velvet looks more dust like and can also appear as cloudiness in the fins. Ich is easier to teat than Velvet, as with velvet you must use copper. For velvet with a treatment tank you first treat to get the tomants to detach from the fish then use a prolonged treatment (10 to 14 days) of copper (3 to 5 ppm) to kill the tomites once the tomants release them. If your unsure as to whether it is Ich or Velvet the copper treatment for Velvet will also be effective for Ich. More stressful than Hyposalinity but still effective. The Velvet tomant to deah of tomite for lack of finding a host is generally 7 to 10 days. But there have been cases of up to 37 days recorded. Hyposalinity is not effective treatment for Velvet. The most coomon symptom of Velvet is difficuty breathing whichhappens first as the initial attack is via the gills.

Well, I guess im happy its not HLLE. I guess her open soars stressed her enough to get the ich, as she had it in a small amount from the move and it went away.

Shes still acting strange, running away from me rather then her usual behavior of coming up to the glass and wanting food. Which I guess is normal if shes stressed.

She has had predators under her skin, in her eyes and her gills for days sucking up her vital fluids, now she has a bunch of parasite nursery bumps all over her head full of squirming growing baby aliens. Yep. She is probably a little stressed out, and as you are the nearest thing to the all powerful god and master in her life I imagine she sees it all as your fault. Doesn't that make you feel special?

Well she still has some ich on her, but her bumps are looking better. Shes eating readily now and not shying away from me when I go up to the tank anymore.

Well the neon gobies are still paing attention to it and her ich is gone, but shes grown a couple new ones.... Still trying to figure out what going on. Shes eating well though, so I may just wait it out and keep treating with primafix and melefix.

I also added a fire shrimp thats been cleaning her off.

Heres an update, it went from this:
SNB13744.jpg

To this:
SNB13792.jpg

Like I said the ich is gone, but the bumps are still there and multiplying

Back