Eye cloudiness (aka corneal edema)

DeanG13

Optometrist Reefer
Over the past week I've noticed that my favorite fish, a recently acquired Spotted Fin Anthia, has been developing some cloudiness in and around his eye.

Here's a picture of him when I first got him <https://www.livingreefs.com/anthia-madness-t26895.html>.

I read on a few places that this cloudiness could be the sign of a bacterial disease. Being an optometry student I'd know exactly what to do if this were a human, but I'm baffled when it comes to fish. All my other fish (Hawk, clown, and P.J.) are all ok and everyone including the anthia is eating well. The only thing I've done differently since I added the anthia is I've started feeding with ProSalt in addition to a rotation of mysis and brine shrimp. What can I do at this point so that my favorite fish doesn't die on me!?!

Infections like a cloudy eye are usually caused by poor water quality and the best remedy is lots of water changes to improve the water quality.

How much are you feeding and how often?
What are your water parameters? Nitrate - pH - temp?

Hey Larry, my parameters are stable nitrates at 10ppm, nitrites and ammonia at zero. pH is at 8.2. I'm hesitant to do massive water changes because I don't want to negatively affect my corals as well as my other fish. I'm currently feeding them 1-2 times a day (more often once daily).

I wanted to ask about the antibiotic drops I've seen online. Anyone have any experience using them in this sort of situation? Can anyone recommend a particular brand/type?

Back