False Clowns

I guess it depends on what you mean by "false" clowns. When referring to clown fish, people generally are talking about Percula clownfish. False are Ocellaris clownfish - both are very close relatives. Many fish stores sell Ocellaris clowns as percula, but you can tell my the amount of black that exists between the white and orange on their bodies. The thicker tha lines, better chance you have "Percs". I have a pair of "false" clowns - ocellaris - and they hosted in my BTA three days after putting them in my tank. They currently host in three different BTA's. I have found no problem with them hosting, especially if they are from the ocean. It may take a few weeks for farmed fish to host, but the instinct is still there. IMHO. Hope this helps.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks, yeah I was talking about the ocellaris, thats the kind I am planning on getting, so I was curious if they will host in anemones, thanks

I have two false percs and they have hosted a xenia colony and a BTA no problem. Some clowns host some dont. I have read it is easier for the tank bread to host other than there natural hosts.

I have 2 Ocellaris clowns in my 55.They have yet to host anything but the powerheads. But I still love em,and my daughter cant go 10 minutes without checking on her Nemos.

if i do intend on getting an anemone, and i want to try and get an Ocellaris Perc to host in it... should i get the anemone first?

IMPO,anemones are to hard to keep alive,they typically need intense lights and pristine water...If you get one,you would need to let your tank mature(6 months or even longer).I definitely would get the clown first and maybe try an alternate,say hairy mushrooms or something else.The choice is really up to you..just giving a heads up.One more thing,also IMO Maroons and Clarks readily host just about anything.

but i really love the black and white percs, i hear the maroons are semi-aggressive? they wont do alright together will they?

David I like them black and white percs too.Maroons are more aggressive clowns,but I think the gold stripe variety are slightly less aggressive.I had a mated pair of Gold Stripes and they were so docile compared to the Clarks I have now.If you did get Maroons,you may have to get them as a mated pair or hope for the best by mixing 2 small young juvis together,one larger than the other.I know people will prolly bash me,but I'm getting a pair of black percs and a pair of maroons in the new setup.Hopefully the tank is big enough to keep them from fighting.

reeffreak,

I would never scold you, heaven knows I have sent my fair number of fish back to their maker in the name of science. I don't know if your two types of clowns will go together. I have not found a more aggressive clown than the maroon clown. The one I have in my work tank is SOOO mean - he bullies the Niger Trigger! You cannot put your hand in the tank without him raging out against you. I like my passive false percs.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back