fanally ready for cleanup crew

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
well im finally ready for my cleanup crew

any suggestions?

i bought a few red tip hermits but that was like dropping a bb in a boxcar

90 gallon tank

90 pounds of figi live rock

You can build your own cleaner crew at www.etropicals.com and shipping is free.

I recommend a mix of snails: nassarius, astraea, mexican turbo, cerith, nerite, trochus.

Buy hermit crabs at your own risk. They are good cleaners, but they will kill your snails for their shells.

Emerald crabs are good additions also.

don't forget a serpent star or two. they do a great job of excess food or eating a small fish that dies before it decomposes and spikes your tank

-Doc

I agree with Biff. Mixing of snails and hermits just end up with you having to replenish snails over and over again.

doc mentioned a serpent star

considering the extremely young age of my tank, is it ok to put a serp. star in

i would love to, and my kids would love it also, but i dont want to kill it either

Starfish need more stable parameters than other cleaners. Shrimp too. I would wait a month after adding snails and/or hermits before adding stars or shrimp. Moderate nitrate levels will kill stars and shrimp pretty quickly.

i was able to add a serpent star about four weeks after setting up my 125 many years ago. It has been a long time, but I know I have had the same ones for the entire time. They are HUGE, but really cool. If you are nervous, don't add one, but If your tank is done cycling, you should be OK. Just me though.

-Doc

I agree with Biff. Mixing of snails and hermits just end up with you having to replenish snails over and over again.

I personally like the hermits much better than the snails. Is there any problem with skipping the snails and just keeping hermits?

Yep, snails are the best cleaners out there. If you want hermits, getting a mix is fine. Just put empty shells in for them and be prepared to re-stock snails every so often.

Yep, snails are the best cleaners out there. If you want hermits, getting a mix is fine. Just put empty shells in for them and be prepared to re-stock snails every so often.

Thanks. I'll think I'll add more snails and skip the hermits for a while. I think the hermits already got a few snails and don't see the sense in continually putting in the snails only to be used as hermit food.

hermits also did more damage to algae in my tank then the snails did so i would recommend a mix of the two. www.reeftopia.com is a good site for a clean up crew. they also give you free shipping and alot of there CUC packages come with free extra shells

Back