Fans vs. Chiller

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

Doe's fans will do the job to cool the water temp. from about 90F to the safe zone of 82F and under, or only a refrigirator chiller will do? My question is for the 75 gallon tank.

Thanks.

I think a couple of fans blowing across the water would do the trick. But you should also check that your heater is working properly because unless your house is extremely hot, your tank shouldnt be that hot.

You need to find the cause really. Why would your tank be up at 90 deg? I would try a fan running over the water first. It worked for mine due to my lights which were heating it up.

EDIT: I Gots NINJA'D!

Fans are the better option for cooling a tank as they cause more evaporation which removes the heat from the tank.
Think of a chiller as an air conditioner. You know how when your AC is running that hot air is coming out of the unit outside? Well a chiller works on the same principle. It removes the heat from the water via the freon. So it's got to get rid of that heat somewhere and that somewhere is either under the tank or beside it. So you heat the room up which causes the chiller to have work harder to keep the tank cool.

Thank you guys...

I think my problem is that in the past 3 days the temp. outside was too high and my AC wasn't good, so i ended up with indoor temp. of 87F. The tank has (the 75 gallon) 4 T5 48" light bulbs that working for 10 hours and they getting very hot... So i think these two conditions made the problem.

I will buy fans to control this situation, thanks.

Back