Fastlight's 75gallon first saltwater tank

Fastlight

Semper FI
Well, although Im very new to this forum, I think I will be sticking around for a long time. Im on here everyday reading up and looking in at awh at the tank pics on this site. I have been reading up on this hobby and gaining new knowledge everyday. I promise this will be a slow moveing thread seeing as it is gonna take me a while to accumulate everything I want/need for my tank. It started out with a 75 gallon tank I bought from a friend that included a stand, tank, wet/dry filter protein skimmer, liverock,and a lightbar. I got a great deal on it and was originaly gonna build an african cichlid tank out of it. Well Im now here. First off Ill start with the stand. My friend got this tank from one of his friend and then like a bonehead, mistreated it. First off the live rock which most of you know he killed off( look for my other thread) then his basement flooded and destroyed the stand. Well, before I can even begin to fill this tank I decided my own stand. Me being an electrician, am kinda, not much though, mechanicly inclined. So here are some pics

First started with 2 49"x19" rectangles.(this later proves to be dumb seeing as wood panels come in 4x8 sheets:frustrat:)

Well i cant figure out how to post this pic, guess im gonna have to figure out how to upload them. I will be back later with pic.

Hi Fastlight, to post a pic, you first upload them into the photo Gallery (or directly when you are Posting a Reply (scrole down). Then copy the BB code and paste it directly into your message. Once you submit it will turn into a picture....

Lets try this. My kids helping me with the build of my not complete stand.

IMG_0928.JPG

Okay now that i know the pictures work, I shall show you my other 2 pics, then im going to bed. The first one is frame work done.
IMG_0929.JPG

This one is the damage done to the initial tank stand. Mold, falling apart and a water line that is about 6 in off the ground.. My friend found a nice way to waste 125 bucks!

IMG_0937.JPG

You got the right idea going.I like how you used pressure treated 4Xs for the legs.

You better be careful too.Them 2 young ladys are gonna end up taking over your tank.

I use photobucket for posting pics, it always resizes them automatically and all i do is cut and paste the code... bam.. pics posted.. Looks like a nice and sturdy stand. I am about to start the build on my stand, actually not building a stand, more like reinforcing an existing stand so my wife and I dont fight about the color,shape and location of a new stand...

Yote: they already said they want a Nemo and a Dorie.....wonder where they got that from. I really hope they get involved with this. It will be fun to do together.

Mik, i thougth about trying to save the old stand, but i didnt trust is with the weight i know the tank will have. How you gonna reinforce it? AngleIron?? or wood?

Just a couple of 2x4's and 4x4's. Im gonna start on it later today after the kid gets up from his nap, i will take pics and post em up

Good start, keep us posted. on the pressure treated wood make sure you use hot dipped galvanized nails, or fasteners treated with zmax. The chemical impregnated into the wood is corrosive and can deteriorate untreated steel. Stainless fasteners are also ok. I would paint the pressuretreated also, ware gloves when handling it. Do not burn scrape the fumes are toxic. hope this helps for some back ground info on using pt. Keep us posted. looking good.

Johns right on that.Arsinc(sp?) is very corrosive.

You wont have no trouble getting the younguns interested in your tank.Kids love fish.
It does get old wiping my daughters nose prints off the glass though.

I hope I didnt Hijack Fastlight's thread, I was just posting how I modded my cabinet to be able to hold a tank.... We were talking about it earlier in the thread..

Back