Favia placemement and color changes

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I have this favia for almost 9 months now and I have been experimenting with different locations in the tank for optimal lighting for this coral.

My lighting consists of three 120W dimmable LEDs. Blues are set to 40-45% and whites are at 10-15% (Analog dials so there may be some variances).
These are about 10 inches above the water surface.

This is what the favia looked like when I first introduced it to the tank.
Almost completely brown with a tint of purple and some green.

After light acclimation, I placed the favia about 10 inches below the water surface. That is where the coral sat for about 6 months.

This is what it looked like after that time.
New polyps are forming around the edges, and the middle section appears inflated with irregular green patches.

Someone noted that this coral should be in a much shadier location, so I tried that out too.
I placed it lower in the tank with partial shade and this is what it looks like after 3 months in that spot.

Another photo with flash:

What is considered the "healthy" color response for this particular coral?
The uniform brown when it was in brighter light? or the green bordered polyps when it was placed in dimmer light?

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to clean out these darn tiny clove polyps from the edges of the favia?
I want to remove them but I don't want to hurt the favia.

I think it looks healthier in the shady spot. More heads are inflated and each has a more uniform richer color. As for the cloves. Scrape them off with a razor knife

Back