feather duster I got today

Nimboli12

Reefee
My feather duster arrived today from LA. What is it supposed to look like from in the bag it arrives in and after its been in my tank for a while.? It looks like a long brown worm . It does have a tiny bit of pink on one end.

How would I know if it was not doing well or even DOA. Ive only seen them opened up. Im assuming it should be placed with the non pink end in the sand. Is that correct?

Sounds like its acclimating. If you see some pink on one end, that is its crown and means its still alive. Place the end without pink in some coral rubble and prop the other end up with a piece of rock. Once it acclimates it will show its crown (the pink part) more regularly. When it gets scared by something it will pull its crown back into its tube and then come back out again. If you ever see the worm leave its tube entirely, then it is dying, otherwise should be fine. I try to squirt a little food in the direction of mine when I feed since they are filter feeders. The first few times I did that, mine went inside its tube but now its used to it. Mind did take several days before I saw it come out regularly. Good luck with it!

I have one and my tank is fairly new. Mine just looked like a tube. I acclimated him using the drip method. Then I placed him in the tank. He didn't come out until the next morning. Not sure how to tell if he is dead.
Angie

The Surest way to tell if it's dead, if you don't see it for a few days, your CUC is all around. Finally picked the tube up if it's empty, it's gone, it will have gone out the bottom, and into the sand. Get it out.

Give it some time and watch.

Good luck

My feather duster is doing great. When i purchased mine he was opening up inside the bag and has done great every sense. I feed mine twice a week and he is in a low lighted area of my tank. Just give it a few days and it should open up.

Back