Feather Duster Lost Crown

bjohanson1234

I got a feather duster of Saturday. It was good until this morning when I saw its crown laying on the substrate. I have read that stress or bad water conditions could cause this and that it will regrow a new crown.

Now I havent checked the water conditions since this has happened but did check them Friday.
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0 (but probably not readable)
pH 8.4
Alk 9 dKH
Calcium 520

I beleive it might have been stressed from the transport from the LFS to home and the subsiquent acclimation. I dripped it for close to 4 hours.

My question is. Has anyone had their feather duster loose its crown and if so, did it come back and how long did it take?

I have been feeding with a filter feeder food also.

Thanks
Brian

I woke up one morning to find out that my feather duster looking like it got a buzz cut. It's crown/feathers were about 1/2" to and 1" shorter than it normally was. I only saw a few small cuttings on the sand. I'm thining that a hermit or emerald crab gave it a trim, but that's still an unsolved mystery. After about 2-3 weeks my feather grew back to normal. Although, during the regrowth process it didn't come out of the tube all that much, but now it's out all the time. Hope that helps! Good luck.

Hikers right.They'll grow back their crown once the stress level has dropped.Might take a couple of weeks though.
But your right in that it could have been caused by the acclimation.

I had one in my tank which got picked to pieces by an Emperor Angelfish. It pulled it out of it's tube and shredded its crown completely off. All that was left of the poor thing was the worm laying on the sand and about 1.5 inches of his tube. I picked both pieces of him up and put it in its tube in a hole in the rock of my other tank. I didn't expect it to live after that let alone grow its crown back. But after 3-4 weeks there it was healthy again. I still have it today after about 2 1/2 years.

Good luck with yours, Bj.

Hey BJ, mine lost its crown about 2-3 weeks ago, after being in the tank for about a month, at which time it stayed in the tube, now his crown looks better than ever, so give it time, it'll be ok.

I had a large feather duster lose its crown like a year ago and vanish. Last night we found him living in a rock!

Thanks everyone. Havent seen any sight of the duster yet. Hopefully he is just hiding in his tube till his crown grows back some. Gonna definantly leave it in there. So here's to waiting:Cheers:

the live rock i bought has tons of tubes that look like mini feather duster tubes. all ranging from 1/4" to 3/4" in length and different diameters. do you think any of these still have the worm inside?

i have yet to see one poke its crown out.

I am sure that some of those mini dusters are still alive.
It has been almost a week and no sign of anything yet. I really hope that it is still alive in there.

Brian

Well, this morning, I went to look at my tank and guess what I saw!!!!
The new crown on my duster. It was abouot 1/2 inch long so it is still growing back. It has a green tint to it now while before, it was white and brown.

Brian

I told my wife about it when I saw the new crown. You know what she told me?!?!!!! Oh yeah I saw it a few days ago:frustrat: I was like thanks for letting me know:mrgreen:

Well, this morning, I went to look at my tank and guess what I saw!!!!
The new crown on my duster. It was abouot 1/2 inch long so it is still growing back. It has a green tint to it now while before, it was white and brown.

Brian

Glad to hear it's regrowning. Don't worry about the color. When mine started to regrow it was pure white. Now it's back to it's normal color. :bounce:

Back