Feather Duster loved too much by my clown!

stormystormy11

Reef Addicted!
I have two feather dusters in my 30 and one of my clowns was hosting in one of them for several months when yesterday I found it has lost its feathers. The clown is confused but will my feather duster get its feathers back? The other one has not come out of its tube in several days..the end is pinched shut..do they do that some times?

Not sure....if the clown doesn't leave it alone, then it definitely won't grow back. It will be too stressed.

Stupid clown...why can't he host a powerhead like all normal clownfish :mrgreen:

Tube worms can regrow there crowns a couple of times-the worm is downsizing becoming smaller to cope with the lack of food,plus the stress of nemo not helping.Honestly they are not for small systems-they do better in large established systems with working sand beds producing zooplankton and other natural foods-they probably will not come back sorry -but good luck!

Feather dusters are actually pretty hardy and will mostly likely come back and do fine if the clown leaves them alone. Coco worms are the ones that are much harder to keep and need the large, established systems.

Do you know anyone that has one in there system that has lived more than 24 months? anybody? and what species?

I have had a rock of about 20 of them for 5 years now... Not sure about the species, but they are purple, white and red. The largest tubes are about the width of my finger. I can try to find a pic when I get home. :) Mine have been very hardy. No special care. But my fish don't bother them. I started with one, and over the years they have reproduced.

Ok, they sound like colonial tube worms-spiral shaped crowns?with the colors i think christmas tree love to see a pic! I think the most common ones for sale are from the family sabellidae those are the one i caution if the crown is more 1.5" in dia expect a short lifespan.I collected and sold 1000s in the past and now live with the guilt!

Hey, the pinched shut worm came out a little but shot back into tube when he saw me....the tips of the feathers that were coming out looked bigger and fuller than before I noticed him staying in the tube...never saw him lose his feathers. The other one does have some small holes in the tube...can he repair that also?
I'm in the 15th day of cycle with my new 75.....plan to move them when it is ready...I do feed them and the water has been perfect in that 30 for 7 months now.
They are the maroon/brown and white larger ones.

Back