Feather Duster Reproduction

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Jenna09, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Jenna09

Jenna09

The small hard tube feather dusters reproduce in my tank like crazy and have for years.

Now, I have had 1 feather duster (soft tube) in my tank for probably around 7 years; he has lived through triggers, puffers, copper treatment and who knows what else lol.

About 4 years ago I purchased 2 other soft tube dusters. I thought one died about a year after getting it as its "feather head" fell off but it grew back slowly.

I have let my tank go over the last 2 years in the sense that the front glass was algaed over and I couldnt see in. However I would check everyday through the water at the top and everything was growing like crazy and doing great. I would do water changes and had everything running it just was no longer a display tank.

When I cleaned off my glass at the beginning of this year I was surprised to see that I now have 5 huge feather dusters and 1 smaller one.

The new ones are at least 5 inches long that I can see and go into the rocks and the smaller one is sticking out about 3 inches and has a smaller head.

I was looking it up and found this info
    Obviously they have reproduced and I am quite happy...how common is this?

All very interesting! Started with 3 and now I have 6!

Jenna

Jenna09, Jan 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Jenna09

daugherty part time reefer

i dont know how common that is to see them split like that in the home aquarium but you are doing something right.

daugherty, Jan 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Jenna09

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I would have never guessed they would spread like that.:D

yote, Jan 11, 2010
  4. Jenna09

Bifferwine I am a girl

I started with one small hitchhiker nearly five years ago, and now I have 20+ all on one rock -- some of them several inches long. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2010
  5. Jenna09

Bifferwine I am a girl

Here are pics I just took. I tried to count -- I have at least 30 on this one rock. They are hard to photograph because they are constantly moving and I have a lot of flow in my tank, which makes it difficult to focus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2010
  6. Jenna09

project5k

yea, i've got litterally hundreds of the little ones, but i only have the one big one that i bought at the lfs before christmas...

i'm constantly watching it, i've gotten to where i can even see it pooping now, and i never had a clue what worm poop looked like, but now i know, 1/8 inch long green sausages.. hehehehe

project5k, Jan 14, 2010
  7. Jenna09

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

I have several very small ones in the chambers in the bubble trap in my sump. I figure they cant hurt anything, so I will leave them there

Reefrookie, Jan 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question