Feather Duster v/s Green Spotted Puffer

boogerschnot

Reefing newb
This is my second thread and I thought I would bring my questions from the newbe (hi my name is...) section to here.

I finally picked up a cleaning crew today:

5 snails
5 Hermit crabs
1 Peppermint Shrimp

and then a really nice looking feather duster caught my eye, so I grabbed that too.

Then after leaving that store, I went into another and fell for a Green spotted Puffer, less than an inch long.

When we got home, acclimated them and placed in the tank, after a few minutes the puffer was going after the feather duster. I figured he was hungry, so I fed him some roe and he stopped. I was a little worried at first because he was pretty relentless about going for the duster.

Do you think this will become an issue, or should I just keep him fat and happily fed?

Pics:

2012-09-03_17-19-34_213.jpg

Unfortunately, there really isn't much you will be able to do. as the puffer gets larger, he will eat all your crabs and snails. Possibly your other inverts as well. They have a hard tooth that needs to be worn down on the shells of these creatures as he eats them. It is always best to do your research first then buy the fish. I know it is hard, but it is best for the animals if you can help refrain from spontaneous purchases.

What other tank mates do you have in there? That little guy can get up to 6 inches long and become very aggressive. Everything I have read is that they require at least a 30 gallon tank. Which IMO would be too small for the guy.

The tank also has a cleaner wrasse, and a blue hippo tang.

Tang, wrasse, puffer, 5 snails, 5 hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shimp, 1 feather duster.

Sorry, but none of the fish you have are suitable for a 20 gallon tank. The hippo tang needs at least 125 gallons (they are VERY difficult fish to keep alive, they require a ton of swimming room because of their high metabolisms and they are very susceptible to parasites and stress -- and in a small tank like that, they will only get diseased faster). The cleaner wrasse will starve to death, as it requires fish parasites to live, and it doesn't eat much of anything else. They can be kept alive at the LFS because the stores are constantly getting in new fish, and new parasites for them to eat.

And as you've found out, the puffer is not reef safe. It will go after any and all inverts. That is part of their natural diet.

Did you research these fish before you bought them?

Booger, you were told on your first thread that your fish were not suitable for your tank. Please return these fish to the store. I know that to defend yourself you said you were going to get a 175 gallon tank. It does not matter. Get fish for the tank you HAVE. Not a tank you MAY, ONE DAY, get. We hear that all the time from people who have bought fish without researching. I find it hard to believe you just started a 20 gallon tank and now you're going to spend a forture and start a 175. It's very frustrating to us here as we know that your fish are doomed. Right now you have an enviroment that is impossible to keep these fish happy and healthy in. It is cruel. At the store they are kept in a small tank for a short time. To say that keeping them in your size tank is ok because the store does is not acceptable.
Check out liveaquaria.com and research the fish you have and then click on nano fish and look at the fish you should have in a 20 gallon tank.

Beyond what everyone else has already said, I also want to add that green spotted puffers are brackish fish (and even occasionally sold as freshwater fish) and have different needs than true saltwater fish.

Beyond what everyone else has already said, I also want to add that green spotted puffers are brackish fish (and even occasionally sold as freshwater fish) and have different needs than true saltwater fish.

This too. Keeping them in full saltwater is asking for trouble. They will not survive for very long. The puffer should be kept in a tank with salinity at 1.005 to 1.008, while your other fish should be kept in a tank with salinity at 1.022 to 1.026. They require different habitats.

Also, green spotted puffers are highly aggressive and will eventually kill your other fish. For this reason, they are often kept in tanks by themselves. They don't get along with fish of other species or their own kind.

But can I keep my little Chromis and 4 lion fish?
and will they eat my Red Lobster leftovers?

by the way I have a 10 gallon tank with plenty of light and live rock.

**edit
ohhh and in advance if you don't give me the answer I want I am going to do it anyway...

Cmon guys, we have all had to start somewhere. The OP hasn't gotten angry or butt hurt over being wrong. He was just misinformed by his LFS. Who here hasn't been? He came here for advice, it was given, as far as I can tell, it has been heard. He has not come back and said we are all wrong so he will do it his way anyways. So please be respectful of a newbie that has bad information.

Sorry, My post wasn't meant at the OP. more at the previous post about being trolled.
I don't post on here much but read daily (I am way to busy with work to post frequently) and I do notice a bunch of people that I can only assume are being told by their LFS that some pretty out there stuff is A-Ok...

the worst my LFS has told me is stuff like I can get away with a yellow tang in my 65... they are at least CLOSE on that one...
I just can't imagine some of the stuff these poor people are being told.
I am new to this as well... I would be so upset if someone had me stocking some of this stuff (again not directed at the OP.).

Just sayin that there's seems to be a lot of these lately. It's such a shame that so many people don't do their research or don't care, and that most LFS' don't show any concern for their animals.

Just sayin that there's seems to be a lot of these lately. It's such a shame that so many people don't do their research or don't care, and that most LFS' don't show any concern for their animals.

THIS.

Yes it is up to you to research, but SHAME on those stores.

I always feel its really bad in the holiday season, because people get a tank set up for christmas, which is ok, its the filling of said tank that gives me a heart attack.

I find it hard any LFS wouldn't ask you the size of your tank before you buy and warn you what the fish might do to other inhabits in there. Every LFS I have been to have asked me questions and voiced concern whether they were right or wrong.

YEs we all do make mistakes and he will learn the hard way by the amount of money he loses.
Most LFS will take the live stock back at 50% of the cost. Take the loss or you will face a 100% loss in a month.

I find it hard any LFS wouldn't ask you the size of your tank before you buy and warn you what the fish might do to other inhabits in there. Every LFS I have been to have asked me questions and voiced concern whether they were right or wrong.

YEs we all do make mistakes and he will learn the hard way by the amount of money he loses.
Most LFS will take the live stock back at 50% of the cost. Take the loss or you will face a 100% loss in a month.

Then you must have excelent LFS. If all LFS did as you said, then there wouldn't be so many tangs in small tanks. It happens more often than you realize.

Back