Feather Dusters Life Span

i also dont know, but 1 year sounds like a really short lifespan... too short for some of those featherdusters to grow to the sizes they can get

yea, i had a bunch of these in my tank a little while ago, but now i cant find them, its only been a week or so, so i guess my fish ate them.. i dunno...
i think mine were diferent tho, cause mine were all in the sand...

My larger ones are still going strong and growing after about 1 1/4 years. One was given to me after another guy had it for at least a year or more before I got it so it's been alive awhile now. I don't target feed mine at all. They must get enough nutrients from waste organics and such in the water.

I have little ones (maybe an inch or two in length) that pop up in the tank all the time. They never seem to last long at all - maybe a month or two. My guess is these worms have a high mortality rate in nature like many such animals. They probably lay millions of eggs with only a handful making it to maturity. Once they reach a certain size they are probably good-to-go for a while.

Aquarium Intervebrates by Julian Sprung
From the article...
"Some of them reproduce, some thrive, others are more delicate and just survive for extended periods of up to two years."

"The ever-popular giant feather dusters imported from Puerto Rico, Haiti, Hawaii and Indonesia belong to the genus Sabellastarte. The color of the crown is variable, and includes shades of brown, white, orange, and maroon. Sabellastarte spp. can be long-lived in aquaria, but often they "last" for several months only. It is a commonplace occurrence for them to occasionally shed their crown, for reasons not well known. They readily re-grow the crown within a few weeks or months. When fed liquid invertebrate foods and phytoplankton frequently, they can live for several years in captivity."

"The Hard tube "Coco worm" from Indonesia is a popular and expensive creature that is not recommended for the beginner. Its life span is not very long in captivity, usually not more than two years, and often much less than that. "

Back