Feedback on stocking list

adudle00

Reefing newb
So here are my ideas so far for stocking my 14 gallon biocube. Any feedback/advice is appreciated. I'd like to have a good idea of what I'll be getting once the tank is good to go.

CUC:
--2 cleaner shrimp
--1 emerald crab
--snails and/or hermit crabs?

Fish:
--1 or 2 yellow headed jawfish.
--something else...?

Corals:
I plan on getting corals, but need to do more research.

Questions:
I wanted to get some snails and/or blue legged hermit crabs as well. However, I've read that the hermit crabs will most likely kill the snails at some point. I was thinking of getting really tiny hermit crabs, but I'm not sure how fast they grow (they'd be in this tank at least a year). Would the jawfish go after tiny hermit crabs?
Also, will the emerald crab and jawfish be okay together? I've got my heart set on getting this jawfish, so I'd rather plan my list around that. Would 2 of them be too much in a 14 gallon? I would like to get maybe a firefish or something else down the road, depending on how everything else is going. Advice please? Thanks!:mrgreen:

I would stay away from the emerald. They have a nasty habit of turning evil once they get big, and they are really hard to get out of a tank.

Also cleaner shrimp are great, but they dont really clean anything. They shouldnt count as part of your CUC. And you can get the dwarfs, but i think you will be better off with getting an all snail crew. Then no one will be killed for shells, and i think they are little bit better workers.

And i think you stocking list will be fine, but you will need a lid. Both jawfish and firefish are known jumpers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is so important i will say it again, you need a lid!

I would stay away from the emerald. They have a nasty habit of turning evil once they get big, and they are really hard to get out of a tank.

Also cleaner shrimp are great, but they dont really clean anything. They shouldnt count as part of your CUC. And you can get the dwarfs, but i think you will be better off with getting an all snail crew. Then no one will be killed for shells, and i think they are little bit better workers.

And i think you stocking list will be fine, but you will need a lid. Both jawfish and firefish are known jumpers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is so important i will say it again, you need a lid!

Okay, I'll look into an all snail crew.
The tank has a lid, so I'm good there.
Do you think 2 jawfish would be okay, or is there not enough space in the 14 gallon for both of them?
Any recommendations for some other interesting inverts that I could add to the tank? I really want a crab, are there any that aren't too aggressive? Thanks!

I would be worried about two of them fighting in such a small space. Im not 100% sure on that though, in larger tanks i know they can kept in small groups, but that small tank might not provide enough room for two to exist happily. Dont forget they are going to need a deep sand bed which is really going to cut down on your water volume. I would go with one jawfish and one firefish personally.

Check out the pom pom crab. I have one and really enjoy her, but you wont see her much. They tend to come out at night, which is typical of all crabs. Look into the sexy shrimp, i have several of them and really really like them! If you get them i would get at least 6, so you can see a few at time and they do best in groups anyways.

I disagree with you Hannah, cleaner shrimp are great CuC members they'll go around the tank cleaning up all sorts of leftover food.

I would recommend a few Cerith, Nassarius and Astraea snails maybe 2 or 3 each. I have 3 Cerith 2 Astraea and 3 Nassarius so far in mine and they seem to being doing a good job. I know a lot of people like Turbo snails as well.

Back