Feeding a shy pistol shrimp

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok...so now that the goby died, I don't know how to feed the pistol shrimp. I don't see the shrimp much. He used to stay in the hole he dug, and I think the goby brought him food. I know he's still alive because I lifted the rock, and he scampered. Needless to say, he's a shy one.

How can I ensure he eats? Would it be enough to leave some of the small sinking pellet food on the bottom of the tank? Right now, there are 3 snails, and 2 small hermits. So how can I be sure the shrimp is getting its fill? I'd hate to lose him too.

I also usually put in some frozen cyclopeeze to feed the shroom. Will the shrimp take that too?

The shrimp will take the cyclo and the pellets. I haven't seen mine since I moved it from my 3g to my 110 3 weeks ago. I know he's in there. Most people say they never see their pistols but once in a long while. I saw a burrow though, recently...
He'll get food in the sand, I wouldn't worry about it starving.

LOL yeah, I had to shift one of the large rocks that I know he stays under over a little bit. So I wouldn't crush him, I lifted it a little, and saw him zooming off to a nearby rock. I just put some cyclo and pellets in there. Hopefully I can get a new goby in there soon. My ammonia levels seem to have gone down, but I'm waiting a bit longer.

Put some shrimp or other type of meat (I use cockle) on a feeder stick and hold it outside his home at night.

I enjoyed feeding mine this way.

all great ideas any type of target feeding will work. also as far as your mushroom goes they are pretty much just going to feed on the plankton in the water. not much additional work needed beyond your regular feedings.

Back