Feeding Clowns

Jimboaf

We can build it
So i have had my two clown fish for about a year now and they haven't seem to grow at all. They seem to be the same size as when I brought them home. They are the only fish in my 55gal. Any help is appreciated.

Depending on the clowns they grow to different sizes and they will max out according to the available swim space as well. Often marine fish never get the size they would in the wild as the space in our tanks is just too restrictive. A 55 gallon tank will have about 35 to 40 gallons of water when you take the displacement of water due to sand, rocks, and other items we place in the tank. Using seven to ten gallons of water per fish as a rule of thumb in a salt water tank for fish that are about two to three inches in length then you have the correct length for the fish.

Feeding the clowns, they do eat dried algae, protein pellets and frozen foods like brine shrimp. A variety is best for all fish, and the clowns will enjoy the variety as well.

large species of fish do grow larger, but not to the size they would in the wild; I will used a yellow tang as an example; anyone that has been to Hawaii and snorkled on the reef will encounter the yellow tang. You will see that they will be sometime the size of a half sheet of paper or more they grow to a rather large size in the wild, however in the home tank if purchased about the size of a silver dollar they grow about the size of small hand and that is all the larger they will get no matter how well they are fed this is true of many damsels. Larger fish will still grow larger but not to the size they would in the wild. This is my point, when you see a maroon clown caught from the wild often they are rather large sometime several inches in length but if you buy a smaller one and grow it out in your home tank it will always be much smaller no matter how well fed. Captivity does stunt the growth at least from my personal experience.

Back