Feeding...how often?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
How often should I be feeding my fish? I feed them a combo of flakes, frozen mysis shrimp and frozen fromula one meaty food twice a day. Is this too much, not enough or about right?

It depends how long your system has been established and much natural food you have in there. I would not feed twice a day. Try cutting back to only once a day and only as much as they will eat in a 10 minute period. After a few weeks I would cut back to every other day.

I agree -- once a day or once every other day. You should also try to switch to frozen food only, as most flake and pellet foods contain preservatives that fuel algae growth.

Mine got their first taste of frozen mysis since Oct,yesterday evening.But I've got plenty of natural foods in my tank,so they dont get hungry.

What?! Once a day??!!! Once every other day?! I'm feeding twice a day....am I definitely overfeeding??!!! Ugh.

I feed once a day. I'm feeding a 2" clown in one tank and a 2" damsel in the other tank. Neither eats much. I alternate between the following frozen foods in cube form:

Marine Cuisine - sort of an all-in-one food mostly meat
Mysis
Blood worms
Emerald Entree - another all-in-one food but mostly veggies

I usually un-thaw 1 cube at a time. When it's gone (3 or 4 feedings) I'll switch to a different cube.

I feed a fair amount of pellets in the morning and either mysis or brine (one full cube) in the evening. Every other day I either stick 1/2 a vegetable or meat? tablet on the side of the tank for them to nibble on. It's about the size of a dime before I cut it in half.

They seem to eat everything I put in. There is rarely left over food. My water levels appear to be good. I do a 20% water change every week.

I have:

1 tang
1 angelfish
1 false gramma
1 baby blue hippo tang
1 firefish
2 pj cardinals
1 adult clownfish
1 baby clownfish
1 wrasse
1 goby
1 lobster
...and 5 various shrimp

I would love other fish-lovers opinions. I've had my tank 6 months now...and I STILL feel like I don't know what the heck I'm doing!!!! UGH!

I've had mine almost a year, still don't know what I'm doing. Thank God for this site !!
I feed mine once a day. I alternate between brine shrimp, mysis, and flake when I'm lazy. I add garlic and vitamins to the flake. I keep a mixed up container in the fridge. I also add blood worms and pellets occasionally. The cleaner shrimp grab them pellets and take off with them.

I would not say your over feeding your tank. Your tank is not a year yet? So you don't have the live food population up so you should be feeding that much.

When I had my fish only tank, I fed twice a day. Last spring I transferred everything to a bigger tank and made it reef. I took everything from the 46 gal to the 90 gal. I was still feeding twice a day till I seen on here, a lot of people only fed once. So, I cut back to once a day.

I feed every other day or once every 3 days. Plenty of food in the tank and i like for them to look for their own food and keep active.

I had a feeling I was overfeeding. I'm going to cut back to once a day for about a month then start every other day. I just set my fuge up last night so I'm going to order some pods to start growing in there. Thanks for all the help!

I feed mine once a day, but sometimes I skip a day. I have a low bioload anyway. I feed mysis (and once in a while, as a treat, I add spirulina) to the 125g, and the 45g gets mostly spirulina once a day.

I've been feeding my tank small amounts 2 times a day. My water parameters are great and I have 0 Nitrates. Last week I was gone for 4-days with no tank sitter and my fish seemed to be doing quite well when I got back. So I'm now thinking about decreasing my feedings. But I doubt I'd go to every other day because I'd probably forget which day I was on :sfish: :D.

Back