feeding my acans

buddy08

SPS Addict
whats the best food to feed them? i have frozen mysis, krill, and flaked foods but i've read pellet food works best if i let it soak. the shrimp works well but is a pain to feed with the water flow. what would you recommend?

Feed the Mysis. Cut the top off a liter water bottle to use as a tent over the top of them. You can now feed them straight down through the mouth of the bottle top.

Should look something like this set of Blastos I was nursing back to health for Biff:
IMG_3146.jpg

im affraid of excess shrimp in the water though, im trying to keep red slime under control. i have a few spots here and there on my rockwork so im scared that if i feed excess mysis, some wont get eaten and cause more slime issues :(

You are spot feeding, so you only need to give each head a piece or 2. The tent keeps the flow from moving the food, and the fish from taking it.

do you use tweezers to place the food in the mouths or just let it settle in the bottle. in the event of it missing the coral and falling to the substrate, what do you do?

I use a turkey baster, or eye dropper. Target the mouth and gently push the food on the heads. What ever falls will be put into the water column after you remove the tent. The fish will eat up those few pieces.

I don't target feed mine at all, they seem to be thriving. I find that with the flow and lighting, my lps get what they need. However, I have used the bottle technique in the past with duncans with great success.

Back