Feeding Nori Sheets

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hey guys, I've been giving my tang nori sheets (about a 1/3 of a sheet at a time) and she does great going to town on it (yay!), but I also feel like she picks and rips a lot of pieces off that just float through the water column and are never eaten. The wrasse does the same thing to it. Are they really eating it, or just shredding it? Anything I can do differently?

Nothing you can do about it.
The sheets get wet (obviously) and tear when the fish are tugging on them. And then they can't swallow the whole piece so they let go.
What I do is take about a 2"x2" piece and fold it in half when inserting into the clip. This way it's not as prone to tear and if it does it'll be a smaller piece.
The less you have hanging out and flowing in the water column, the less there is to tear off.

Yep, Dennis has it right. I have to fold up my 6x8 sheet into a 2x2 square. However my fish will eat a very large piece and leave the small stuff floating around!

I also used to tear strips up the sides of my nori sheets that way if the fish did tear the whole thing off it was a manageable size for them to eat.

I take about a 4"x4" piece, put a couple drops of Garlic Xtreme on it and wet the rest with Kent Zoe, then fold it in half then fold it in a triangle (like folding a flag). Put it on a clip and place it on the bottom of my tank. Very little gets ripped apart and floats away.
nori2.jpg

Back