Feeding Schedule?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
As most of you know I scored a pair of mated clowns the other day. Everything is going well, They're eating very well, swimming around the tank, and coming to the front of the glass nicely so I can always see them. But I've got a few small questions.

1. I've read through Google searches that they should be fed 2-3 times a day, and then I read once a day, or every other day. What do you guys do? I don't want to over feed, and I don't want to have alot of uneaten food laying at the bottom of the tank. But I also dont want to stress them out, I get agitated when I look in the fridge and nothings there, I don't want to do that to the fish.

2. Do you guys feed on a regular schedule or do you mix it up? Does it matter? So far I've been feeding on a regular schedule?

I'm currently feeding mysis, and some green stuff (I'll clarify that later today)that my nephew gave me,(His LFS makes it) They eat both very well. I'm planning on going today to get them some seaweed to nibble. (I've also been mixing garlic oil with the mysis)

I feed once a day, usually at night...even my chromis that I just got last weekend get fed once a day. When I first got them, I was feeding them some crushed pellets that the LFS had them on in the morning, and noticed extra skim in my skimmer. So I pretty much cut back to once a day. They seem fine, active, and not exactly wasting away :) My fish have adjusted to a once a day feeding (and sometimes I skip a day)

The green stuff that your LFS makes is most likely phytoplankton -- your clowns won't benefit from that. In fact, it will probably just cause algae problems. Phytoplankton is for filter feeders (I make my own too).

I feed my fish and corals every 3 days or so. Lately, since I have so many new corals, I've been feeding them every other day. With new fish (and especially a new tank) it's important to feed more frequently than that. As your tank matures, live food will become available in the rocks and substrate, and the fish will begin to forage for food themselves. Until that happens, you have to provide food for them, though.

thanks Wonton, By the way how are the chromis? Are they still swimming in a shoal?

Oh, they're awesome :) They are still schooling, and I swear their favorite past time is swimming near my clown's territory (the clown hosted the powerhead and overflow!). I may have seen them on occasion butting each other around, but hopefully it won't get worse than that. So far, no realy aggression yet.

With new fish (and especially a new tank) it's important to feed more frequently than that.

Thanks for sharing that...should I keep feeding twice a day for the new chromis for a while?

I would. The thing is, you never really know how (or how long) they were shipped, and if they have been slowly starving during their long journey to your tank. I think it helps new fish out to provide them a lot of food at first to make sure they get healthy.

I do two feedings nearl daily, small portions, I do a morning feeding for my diurnal active fish and then a night feeding for the active nocturnal and scavengers. Be sparse on the use of the Garlic oil, or extract, it will make your fish eat if they are stubborn but fish are highly sensitive to "smell" to much can stress them.

C.

Good point. Such a complicated hobby :) Nothing's ever black & white. Sorry I hijacked your thread, PRC!

No problem..That's not a hijack...

Biff, the green stuff the LFS makes isn't phytoplankton, it's a combination of brine shrimp, seaweed, and mysis. I guess they kinda puree' it and freeze it. My nephew has been in the hobby a long time and he swears by it, and everytime I go in that particular store with him people are buying it like it's crack.

I haven't been feeding them that exclusively though, I've also been feeding mysis and garlic...They're not picky eaters, I know that much, If I drop it in the tank, they're eating it.:D

I know the stuff your talking about PRC. A guy in Virginia I used to buy from made a mix like that. The fish loved it and it pretty much fed everything in the tank.

I think I'll just keep going at once a day until the fish get comfortable and go to every other day.

I was just feeding my fish one or 2 small pinches of frozen mysis once every couple of months.But the tangs and blenny are always picking algae off the rock.The mandrine is always eaing the pods,and I guess the chromis were eating what ever they could get.

I was just feeding my fish one or 2 small pinches of frozen mysis once every couple of months.But the tangs and blenny are always picking algae off the rock.The mandrine is always eaing the pods,and I guess the chromis were eating what ever they could get.

No wonder that dam tang wooped on you, he's starvin! :D

Hope it's better by now

No wonder that dam tang wooped on you, he's starvin! :D

Hope it's better by now

HAHAHAH
Yeah its better.:D
The only fish that even like they care when I feed are the chromis.:D
Of course I'll have to step up the feedings now that I've added the anthias.

i've been feeding my fish and eel about every other day now for a year.. the new fish i just got, that are in a q-tank, are getting fed small amounts 2x a day.

i feed a mix of mysis and "enriched" brine(the green ones) with a drop of super concentrated garlic extract....

Back