feeding Skunk Skarlet & cuc

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
Guys got my first skunk cleaner 2 days ago. How often are you supposed tom feed these guys? My tank is 32 days old. I have my cuc and apparently have lost 2 Ast snails. I think the Hermits ate the snails. So how often do I need to be feeding this CUC and skunk?

Also, should I be supplementing with Iodine or iodide? Whats up with the shedding? Is this something that has to happen? This guy is pretty big 2- 2.5 inches. I also see something beginning to develop on the very tips of a couple of the antennas. H is 2 days old. Been feeding him Mysis.

Last edited:
They are inverts. They have exoskeletons and it is normal, once a month is normal. Your hermit will too. Dont feed them. They are your cuc, they are there to clean up. When you run low, put more in. Detrius is there love (fish poop) good luck and have fun

Every couple of weeks I drop a shrimp pellet into my tank to keep my skunk and hermits a little happier. They do go after the fish food when I feed my fish but I haven't had a problem with the hermits eating my snails....yet ;)

Every couple of weeks I drop a shrimp pellet into my tank to keep my skunk and hermits a little happier. They do go after the fish food when I feed my fish but I haven't had a problem with the hermits eating my snails....yet ;)
LFS said give them Mysis every couple days but didn't say how much. B No way I'm throwin a whole cube in there, its 0nly 7 gallons Nano, ive just been putting a bit in the end of a straw.

1 pellet for all for 2 weeks! does it expand with water LOL JK:D
How many shrimps and hermits?

I have 4 hermits, 4 astreas snails and 3 nassururis snails. My fish are 2 clowns, a 6 line wrasse, 2 cardinals and another purple fish I can't remember the name of now ;) We have a bunch of corals and I am running a Biocube 29 with led lights. I feed my fish formula variety pack or mysis shrimp frozen foods twice a day, I direct feed my corals a mixture of Oyster Feast, phytoplankton and cyclopeeze twice a week. I put a ball of chato and live rock rubble in my refugium and I am using the stock skimmer.
The cuc does a pretty good job but I am thinking of adding another couple of each to try to keep it a little cleaner. I don't want to overstock the cuc so I am slowly building it up until I find the happy medium.
The pellet I add wants to float around so I drop it in when I turn off my pumps to feed the corals. It wants to float so I have to hold it down for a bit then my skunk will grab it and chomp away.
Hope that helps.

I have 4 hermits, 4 astreas snails and 3 nassururis snails. My fish are 2 clowns, a 6 line wrasse, 2 cardinals and another purple fish I can't remember the name of now ;) We have a bunch of corals and I am running a Biocube 29 with led lights. I feed my fish formula variety pack or mysis shrimp frozen foods twice a day, I direct feed my corals a mixture of Oyster Feast, phytoplankton and cyclopeeze twice a week. I put a ball of chato and live rock rubble in my refugium and I am using the stock skimmer.
The cuc does a pretty good job but I am thinking of adding another couple of each to try to keep it a little cleaner. I don't want to overstock the cuc so I am slowly building it up until I find the happy medium.
The pellet I add wants to float around so I drop it in when I turn off my pumps to feed the corals. It wants to float so I have to hold it down for a bit then my skunk will grab it and chomp away.
Hope that helps.

If you want to feed pellets you can just hold it under water for a couple of seconds and roll it between your fingers to get the air bubbles out, then drop it.

hey guys, Question lost a fish Litterally he is gone.. A gromby they called it @ LFS. Got 2 as starter fish one died in 36 hours, went to get the carcess, had it then lost it in the reef! Took the WHOLE damn reef apart to find the carcass can't find it!

Is this really bad for a routing fish I can't locate or will the others eat it?

Sounds like your cuc did their job. Unless you get a spike in your water parameters I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Checked water this AM was fine but the fish showed no decay yet! Won't destroy my reef? I think I lost in the sand bed some how. I moved every rock! Pissed of the hole community I think:( Put a bag of carbon in he tank. :frustrat:

If you can't find it there is nothing you can do but monitor and be ready to do a water change if you see your parameters out of whack. Your system and cuc should be able to handle the death of a small fish.

If you can't find it there is nothing you can do but monitor and be ready to do a water change if you see your parameters out of whack. Your system and cuc should be able to handle the death of a small fish.

Got it on second attempt:D Is this a normal Reef ecosystem thing. I mean things die in the wild and others do eat them so a small fish is it OK to leave it and see if they want it?

They will eat it. Look for the big pile of cuc. If you dont feed them, they will look for food, ie dead fish. Once again, that is what they are for. If you feed them, just more for your biological filter to clean and makes them less dependable when it comes time to a dead fish. Good luck

They will eat it. Look for the big pile of cuc. If you dont feed them, they will look for food, ie dead fish. Once again, that is what they are for. If you feed them, just more for your biological filter to clean and makes them less dependable when it comes time to a dead fish. Good luck
I found it. See your point though. But with only 7 gallons the whole system could go south don't you think. The only things that would eat the fush is the hermits right? Skunk shrimp?

Back