Feeding Sun Coral

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
I was just curious as to how anyone with sun coral and cleaner shrimp keep the shrimp from picking all the food out of the sun coral. I thought about covering them after feeding but sure what to use. Maybe a small plastic drainer tipped upside down? Does anyone have sun coral? What do you use to keep potential thieves away?

I don't have 1, but a common way to feed them is cut a 2 litre soda bottle in half. Place the cut end over the coral and feed thru the top of the bottle.

interesting idea ... i dont know if i could get 1 over the top and then feed since the sun coral is under a rock shelf out of the light ... maybe if i cut it at an angle so that it tips out to the opening

I used to feed my goni using the soda bottle method. Have you tried feeding the shrimp first? Keeping it distracted with it's own chunk of food may help out.

i would love it if my sun coral would come out during the day ... my LFS has some in their display tank that is open during the day

i would love it if my sun coral would come out during the day ... my LFS has some in their display tank that is open during the day

You might try sittng it back under a rock,out of the light.Then feed it while the lights are on.
Kinda a train it to open during the day.

Yote if you reread my posts i did say it is up under a rock ... and how do you get them to eat during the day when their tentacles arent out to capture food?

I have a buddy that has his open up everyday at 2 pm. He would turns his lights off at 2 and feed his tank, then feed his suncoral at about 215. Took about 2 weeks and it started opening up without feeding at 2 with lights off. he would feed, then a week later, he left lights on and it comes out all the time about 2 and stays open. It is at the bottom of his tank which is a 75 i believe.

Back