Feeding Zoas?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Do I have to spot feed my zoas little meaty bits like I feed my acans, favia, and Duncan? Or will they do just fine with filtering from the water column and being all photosynthetically cool?

To my knowledge, zoas mouths are too small to eat any meaty foods. They'll get most of what they need from the lighting, and they'll feed from the water column as well. Palys however, will eat meaty foods if you give it to them.

Excellent! I was wondering how I was going to chop stuff small enough for their little mouths, and I was worrying that I was starving the poor little critters. The reason I ask is that I've had my zoas for a while now, and I haven't seen any signs of them reproducing and spreading. My GSP is adding extra polyps on a daily basis it seems, but I've heard many people say that they start seeing growth on their zoas within a couple weeks of tank placement, and mine haven't grown a bit! I wonder why............

It really just depends on the type of zoas you get, your tank conditions, and how long they take to get settled in. When my nano was setup, I had two frags that didn't get much growth for the first 6 months they were in the tank but after that they grew by almost 10x the next 15 months after that.

Zoas get what they need from the water column. Palys you can spot feed any thing they will take. You can dose your tank with Phytofeast, or Oysterfeast for the both of them as well.

I've crushed pellets with a mortar and pestle and then fed the 'dust' to my Zoas --they do closeup and seem to swallow the stuff.

Would Nutramar Ova be an option for Zoas? Most of mine have started to show a little growth, but not as much as I'd like - and I'm thinking about trying to feed them once or twice a week with this stuff

Back