Feeding??

RedTornado

Reefing newb
How much should i be feeding??
Right know i have 2 clowns one semi picasso, and a ocellaris both about a 1.5 inches long. A yellow tang and a one spot foxface both about 3.5 inches.
1 cleaner shrimp.
hand full of snails
a baseball sized long spined sea urchin.

I am feeding frozen mysis twice a day probably 1-2 cubes a day. i have to break it off a big sheet so it does vary a little from day to day. I also rubber band a dry algae sheet that is about 4 by 3 inches to a rock every day. the algae sheet is gone by the time i turn off the light every day so i think i am feeding them to little of it.

Does this sound like it is to much or not enough? I know its not the same for every tank but it would be nice to get some input on it.

Thanks again!

I have several freshwater tanks (I am new to salt) but that does sound like an awful lot of food to me. I would think you should feed them every other day about half that. Fish dont know when to stop you can overfeed them to death.

Do your water tests show any ammonia?

Sounds like too much to me as well. I've got a foxface, wrasse, and two clowns and I feed 2 cubes every other day and a small sheet of nori on the off days. Don't forget that just because you're not feeding them doesn't mean they're not finding food on their own in your tank.

I have 15 fish in my tank, and I feed 3 cubes every other day, but my tank has lots of live food, so everyone is constantly picking at the rocks... I think you are overfeeding. I would continue feeding the algae sheet every day, but cut back to about 1/2 a cube once a day.

I have a tang, coral beauty, foxface, banggai cardinal, clownfish, 2 chromis, a watchman goby, and a lawnmower blenny...they get 3/4-1 cube/day...you're definitely overfeeding. Fish will always eat what you put in there, making them look constantly hungry. If your foxface is anything like mine, he's a poop machine. What goes in, must come out! Hope you have a good skimmer! :D

Overfeeding is a bad habit that is hard to break. I sometimes think fish want to eat the more you feed them, making you think they are still hungry or needing to eat.

Overfeeding is a bad habit that is hard to break. I sometimes think fish want to eat the more you feed them, making you think they are still hungry or needing to eat.

Lucky for me, laziness takes over and I'm not inclined to feed them more than once a day, and occasionally miss a day of feeding LOL

Thats what i was worried about... I will be skip feeding today thats for sure. Yes my foxface is one hell of a poop machine! My skimmer is pulling out a massive amount of dark super stinky skim and i couldn't be happier with it.

My parameters as of this morning where ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5-10.

How does this sound? Cutting it back to a 1/2 a cube every day. Then skipping 2 days a week (not in a row) but still keep feeding the algae sheets everyday sound about right?

Back