Feeding.

sprky86

Reefing newb
I have a brittle starfish, a couple peppermint shrimp, and some emerald/ruby crabs. I was wondering if regular shrimp like what people eat is ok to feed them, or if i need to get something else. I am also getting a long tentacle plate coral and a bubble coral in a couple days, and was wondering if and what I need to feed them, or is the light and flow good enough for them to feed off.

Do you have any fish in the tank? If so, you'll want to feed a good quality frozen food. Preferably a mix of Mysis, blood worms, cyclops, or Rotifers.
If not, then a quality pellet ( which I normally would advise against ) would be better.

i will be getting 2 clown fish in a couple days as my first ones. I would use flakes or pellets if i had to, but common sense would say that most things would do better with meats.

And you would be right. BUT, you don't want to go throwing a jumbo table shrimp in your tank for a hermit to carry behind the rock to rot. The frozen foods I recommended would be mostly wasted in a tank with no fish. Which is why I recommended a small pellet type food. You can better balance whats fed and what is actually eaten.

i didn't do a whole shrimp today. I cut up small pieces and dangled it in front of all of the various inverts until they feed. and if they seemed still hungry i did more, but i didn't do but chunks and let them sit. Everything was eating the food, I wanted to make sure it was good enough to be feeding them. I went to the shrimp because I started with flake, and then pellet, but none of it was getting eaten, except for by the hermit crabs. It has been a couple days so I wanted to make sure they were eating something other than a little algae here and there.

Last edited:
Flake food is really bad for your tank and not very good for your fish at all.
Pellets are only marginally better.

Cutting up a frozen table shrimp is fine. That's very nutritious. If you want to maximize nutrition, though, you should look into some other types of food. Variety is important in a marine environment.

Back