filefish or copperband?

unboundmind

Reefing newb
i have a crop of anastasia (;o)) aka aptasia as the weed that needs a natural tender. which of these 2 do you think will do the job and be easiest to keep?

The filefish tend to eat corals too. The copperbands are reef safe around most corals, but are harder to keep alive.

Have you tried peppermint shrimps?

no we have lost 4 in acclimation or shortly after being in the tank. acclimation was correct. they were local. last i asked folks thought better to buy from online or had better luck. didn't know they ate that weed. do they do a decent job? :helm2:

I have found the acclimation method Biff described to work best for me as well I just substitute the cup for a turkey baster or syringe. From what I have experienced I would say that shrimp, and peppermint shrimp in paticualr, do not do well with warm temperatures and big temperature swings. Try to keep temps at a constant and under 82 if possible. Also, from what I've heard peppermint shrimps have a 50% chance of eating aiptasia. Some do some don't. Hope that helps! :mrgreen:

I had a copperband and I would suggest not getting one unless you see it eat other than your "weeds" because as soon as they are gone it will starve. Had mine for three weeks than it die, MY mistake not enough research, saw a pretty fish and bought it. Now I know research first buy a week or two later. JMO

Back