filter media for aquaclear HOB?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Okay so I am having some issues with a red slime breakout. Soo I purchased a Rio nano skimmer bc that's what I could afford for now. It's a little under kill for a 29 gallon. I have the bio modules and sponge in the aquaclear right now. I took the carbon out of both the skimmer and the aquaclear bc i am treating the slime with melafix. The store was out of red slime remover so this was recommended instead since the slime isnt a true algae but a bacteria. The melafix seems to be slowing the slime growth but not getting rid of it completely. It had only been two days though. My question is....I was told to only use carbon in the aquaclear. But on the other hand I was told it will reach max capacity in a week and then to take it out or else it will leach phosphates into the water. So idk what to do. Should I stop using the melafix and turn on the skimmer and put the carbon back and take the sponge and modules out? Is that going to help more than medicating the tank. Before I was using melafix I had to suck up the slime everyday. I don't want to keep doing that. It uses a lot of salt. Idk what to do. This is very irritating.

Back