Filter questions, maybe a DIY in the future?

I use PVC primer and glue, and unlike bjohanson, I haven't rinsed it before putting it on my tank. I've just put it on my tank as soon as it dried.

Something I can think of that would "separate" your fuge and pump from the macroalgae without impeding water flow is plastic mesh. Here they carry it in the garden section of Home Depot and Lowe's. It looks like black plastic chicken wire... I think it's galled garden wire or something. It comes in a roll. You can cut that and make a "box" around the pump.

I guess the only reason that I did that is because I once did some plumbing and then attempted to drink the water right away out of the faucet and my eyes and nose were watering really bad from the fumes. So I just knew that the fish wouldnt be able to get away from the irritation and didnt want to stress them.

Brian

Alright, Im stuck at school now till 2, then I work at 4, But im going to try and get out between classes and pick up the stuff I need, and then tonight my uncle is going to be in town from Minniapolis, he might be able to help me figure some of this out, hes got his masters degree and is an engineer in the cities. He designs electric pumps and stuff I think, so maybe he will know what hes doing. Oh well 2 heads are better than 1 either way I guess. About that 4th baffle on the bubble trap... Is it necessary? otherwise the sand will get washed away and it will pick up debris and stuff wont it? Should I put the left over piece that I'll cut to put to seperate the pump there on the bottom? maybe a few inches tall?

you will want to stagger the first baffles oppisited of the way you have them. place the outer ones on the bottom and leave the middle one an inch off the bottom. if the water flow comes out on the bottom as you have it now it will wash the sand out of the fuge.

if it were me I would leave a little more "breathing" room for the pump. remember, that's the area where you will notice evaporation. the water level will stay the same everywhere else, but will drop in the pump section. also, you make the last baffle by the pump the same height as the rest. that will give you a lot more volume in the fuge area

So make the baffle right before the pump the same height as all the other ones? and seal it from the bottom? Will water go over that then? Im not up on my physics or how that will work...

I got all my plumbing stuff today! yay! If i have time tonight after work ill start, or tomorrow afternoon perhaps, had to custom fab a part at the plumbing and heating store for my overflow...

I've got some spare time, how should I position these baffles now? Ill do the first 3 baffles 1" up and 1" apart. Don't I want the first one to be so the water has to go under it? Some one said do it over, under over? wouldnt that be less effective of a bubble trap that way? And with the last baffle? should I leave it full heigh?

Quick some one please let me know what order to put the baffles in front? Ive got some time to kill, about half hour before my girlfriend gets done with work to work on this thing tonight. Should I do it first one after the skimmer: up, then down, then up? I could add another piece so the sand wouldnt get disturbed, or should I do it down up down? that doesnt make much sense to me, only having 1 bubble trap out of 3 baffles... someone let me know what you think quick please? Thanks.

Here,I hope this give you some ideas.Spacing between the baffles when depend on certain factors such as return pump size and skimmer size.Make sure you leave enough room for addition water when there's a power outage.I forgot how late it is,I guess the LFS is closed.I know walmart sells silicone sealant but I don't know how safe it is to use.

sump.jpg

Thank you for the nice drawing, I can do that, but i just need to know what the yellow and the black is between the first and second baffle? I have a bunch of aquarium silicone. Will that adequately gtet out all the bubbles? And should the last baffle seperating the fuge and the pump area be shorter than the others? I think you meant to make the first baffle the same height as the second right? otherwise I dont think it would work. How high should the last one be? the same height as the first and 3rd?

That tan thing between the first and second baffle is a bubble trap.The tan thing is the sponge/foam and the black thing its sitting on is eggcrate.It keeps micro bubbles from getting returned to the display.Yes the last baffle needs to be shorter than the third baffle to the left.About 1/2'' shorter will do.I just made this drawing with paint from seeing my buddies tank.Sorry,I didn't have time to put in the writing.I do have the baffles to the fuge a bit low.You could prolly go higher than in my drawing.

Last edited:
The first baffle(left) and the last baffle before the return pump can be the same height.The first baffle was that height because the skimmer pump height was a little shorter.....or about 1'' before the water level.Some skimmer pumps don't work well or blows water out the venturi if placed too deep.Boy I hope that makes some sense.

I thought I was bad with paint.(just kidding by the way)

Yeah with the skimmer out of sump,it looks perfect.I believe it should work nicely.Just make sure the water draining to the sump is underwater to prevent splashing or use a filter sock.

Oh yeah, i just didnt want to draw the tube going all the way down cause it would cover up half my other drawing. I'm doing the skimmer outside the sump to save space, cause im only working with 10 gal. I think Ill have to get building on this baby tomorrow... Thanks for the help!

I think I got this down, ill have to pick up some egg crate, or... at the hardware store today the guy recommended something to me and I went and checked it out, it was nylon or some synthetic plastic screen, like you would put in a window, but its got no metal in it at all... would that be a good alternative to the eggcrate? Or could I just stuff a bunch of that black foam stuff in between there with out the hassle of gluing eggcrate or other things in there, it would be easier to clean If i could just reach down and pull it out and rinse it out...

Back