Filter questions, maybe a DIY in the future?

Like yote said the flow can be throttle back.Even on the instruction manual it says you can do that(at least with the mag pump which you have).I don't know why Biff said that,99.9% of every reefers setup,they have a ball valve on the return,I included.

by the looks of the pic you have a lot of air trapped inside of the c-channel section of the overflow box. this will slow the flow down a bunch. I have the same type and I have experenced that same problem. make sure you leave the aqualifter pump running all the time.

I've got the lifter pump running the whole time. Tonight I lowered the overflow further down into the tank and now its getting a bit more flow... derrr. now its doing just fine as of 11:00 when I left, hopefully it doesnt go overboard and flood my room... I think it should be fine. Tomorrow the damsels are gunna get caught and I talked to the LFS and they said they would take them back. Which is good cause Im attached to those little guys... I dont have the heart to kill them, i barely have the heart to give them back.

Like yote said the flow can be throttle back.Even on the instruction manual it says you can do that(at least with the mag pump which you have).I don't know why Biff said that,99.9% of every reefers setup,they have a ball valve on the return,I included.

Hey hey hey now! I said that because I had an even better alternative to just a ball valve on the return plumbing. It's true that if you throttle it back, it will shorten the life span of your pump. A better idea is to have a T with two ball valves. One branch goes to the main tank, one branch goes back to the sump. That way, you can control the flow by diverting it back to the sump instead of putting back pressure on the pump. DO NOT QUESTION MY AUTHORITAY!!! ;)

Either way the pump is still running under back pressure.The fact that there is a tee in the line add about double the pressure of 2 90* elbows.And thats without the ball valves.:mrgreen:

Yeah what Yote said!

Seriously the owner's manual for the mag doesn't mention that you have to do that Biff.Maybe it has to do with the difference between magnetic drives and centrifugal pumps.Either way will work just fine.

Yeah, i never thought of that, the magnetic drive pumps shouldnt be hurt, I mean the pump is working just as hard no matter what, weather the free floating magnet is turning against back pressure or not... Anyways, its working fine now, all day and its still full. I just needed to lower the overflow more to let more flow in...

Back