Filter removal

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
Thanks for all the help thus far everyone. Here is the next project. Removing the internal filter.
DSC00018edit.jpg
[/IMG]

What is the best way to remove a glued in filter???? Do I need to rebrace this area as the filter is glued to the back and side wall? It goes from the top of the tank(acts like a skimmer) to about 5" from the bottom.

I have never seen this type of bracing.

Yote,it looks like an overflow tower but it's not.Water flows through the slits to a filter/skimmer and no bulkheads at the bottom to drain the water....weird,huh?

If they used silicone to glue it in, simply take a razor blade and carefully cut it off. Let's hope they didn't use some other sort of glue, because I have no idea how to remove it if that's the case.

As long as the corner is siliconed (which it probably is), you shouldn't have to rebrace it with anything else.

The guys at the fish store spoke very highly of this intank filter. In fact two of the store clerks said they had the same filter in their tank. I think these must have been popular for a while in the Dallas area as that is where the tank maker is from. It took me days to find this filter on the web to even figure out how it works. The media is mostly sponge filters with a counter current skimmer and another contraption that I will not get into describing. I agree with previous posts that sponges in a reef tank could mean lots of trouble. I think I would like to take it out though and maybe one day use it for a cichlid tank or something. But, the idea that the adhesive they used to attatch it might be toxic to the water concerns me.
Thanks for the quick replys everyone.
HD

Thanks for the help and the advice. I was able(after quite a bit of sweat and work) to get the filter off. It is huge and was glued in with the black aquarium silicone. I appreciate you all taking the time to help with all of my questions. There will be plenty more.

Back