Filter Setup for 28g JBJ NanoCube

T Fades

Reefing newb
Hi,

Setting up my 28g JBJ NanoCube and wanted to bounce my filter/sump setup off you guys to ensure I am on the right track.

The back portion of the tank has 5 compartments (I think called a mini sump). Here is what I currenly have in those 5 compartments. Please set me straight if I am not using these compartments in the best way.

Outermost compartments (1 and 5) have return pumps, I have a UV sterilizer attached to one of the return pumps.
Compartment 2 has the Oceanic protein skimmer.
Compartment 3 (middle) has the filter media basket, of which I have removed the bioballs, but kept the filter and carbon.
Compartment 4 has the Jager heater.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tony

I dont own one of those nano cubes but I heard you can put live rock rubble in place of the bio balls and it works better. Just something I heard.

Hello and welcome to the site. I think you are good to go IMO. You can use ceramic rings in place of the bio-balls, too, if you want.

I've got a JBJ and mine came with the ceramic rings instead of bioballs. I don't use any of it anymore though. I've got filter floss in the of the basket, and a phosphate remover media in the middle and I left the bottom empty.

Thx for the welcome and input. Yea, I think you are right, it came with ceramic rings, not bioballs.

Don't want to make things too complicated, but was also considering removing the media basket all together and putting the skimmer in Compartment 3 (middle).

Or maybe leaving the skimmer where it is at and remove the media basket all together and put some LR in Comp 3.

Thanks for your patience guys, just want to ensure my research is thorough.

If you do put LR in the compartment, I would suggest to still use the basket only because it will be much easier to remove for maintenance later on. Also, there's a guy on the nano tank forum who make custom basket for the nanocubes. They're much larger then the ones that come with the tank so you can fit more stuff in them and they allow a greater flow of water through them as well. Just let me know if you're interested and I can send you his info.

Back